LM19 automatic updates for public access

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cereal_killerxx

LM19 automatic updates for public access

Post by cereal_killerxx »

I'm in the process of setting up public access laptops for a library system using Linux Mint 19. I need to fine tune some of the settings for automatic updates if possible.

1. Can updates be installed in the background with no pop-ups or user interaction?
2. Can I tell Linux Mint 19 to automatic download and install updates in the background but not to automatically restart?
3. Can I set schedules for updates (example: The second Tuesday of every month)?
4. Will automatic updates still work during a guest user session?
5. Can I delay critical updates a certain number of days?
6. Can I disable Linux Mint from updating to Linux Mint 20 or a new build?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: LM19 automatic updates for public access

Post by gm10 »

Oh come on, you say you're a computer technician, you're getting paid for this job, yet your questions are getting ever more basic to a point where I'll just say either pick up a book and learn how to do Linux or cut us in on the pay. This may come over as rude but many of those questions above are answered even by looking at Update Manager's settings.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

To give you a clue - ignore the GUI update Manager for this.

Checkout the command mintupdate-cli --help & take a look at this thread for scheduling it using cron (using the mint 18.3 version of this command - beware there are some changes in syntax) - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=250688

The specific questions...

1. Yes
2. It doesn't automatically restart anyway
3. Yes - using cron
4. Yes - you set up the crontab for the root user.
5. Yes - see the mintupdate-cli --help output. You can different schedules for different levels and types of update with cron.
6. This never happens without admin user interaction in any case
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
cereal_killerxx

gm10 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 pm Oh come on, you say you're a computer technician, you're getting paid for this job, yet your questions are getting ever more basic to a point where I'll just say either pick up a book and learn how to do Linux or cut us in on the pay. This may come over as rude but many of those questions above are answered even by looking at Update Manager's settings.
Clearly you're having a bad day. I hope it goes better.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

gm10 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 pm Oh come on, you say you're a computer technician, you're getting paid for this job, yet your questions are getting ever more basic to a point where I'll just say either pick up a book and learn how to do Linux or cut us in on the pay. This may come over as rude but many of those questions above are answered even by looking at Update Manager's settings.
Agree 100%. You expect volunteers to help solve problems on your paid job that you clearly are not qualified to do? Do you think anyone with enough knowledge to solve this is going to feel any different???
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:49 am
Agree 100%. You expect volunteers to help solve problems on your paid job that you clearly are not qualified to do? Do you think anyone with enough knowledge to solve this is going to feel any different???
At the risk of turning this into a chat thread, I also agree. It cheeses me off no end when this happens.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

catweazel wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:57 am At the risk of turning this into a chat thread, I also agree. It cheeses me off no end when this happens.
It doesn't necessarily me, and mostly because I don't see mention of "paid job" in this nor a quick scan of OP's other threads. I.e., would y'all feel better if he's a volunteer with Windows but no Linux experience, setting this up on Linux due to licensing cost for a, say, primary school or (asylum) reception centre?

Which he clearly may not be. But that's sort of my point...

I see the questions themselves have been answered :)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

The OP said nothing about being a computer technician nor getting paid for the job.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

JerryF wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:01 pm The OP said nothing about being a computer technician nor getting paid for the job.
He did state he was a computer technician and works for a library system in his first post/topic. Could be a volunteer of course. To be fair to both gm10 has helped him out quite a lot already but 'technician' in a job title these days could mean a lot of things and certainly to me doesn't necessarily imply specific skill, experience or qualifications beyond being 'good with computers'.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

cereal_killerxx wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 pm Can I disable Linux Mint from updating to Linux Mint 20 or a new build?
No. But there is no need. Mint does not upgrade by itself.
Note that a jump to a newer version is an upgrade, not an update. Upgrades are never automatic.

As for the other questions, I concur that simply looking at the settings of the Update Manager would answer most of them, so please do that first and then come back in case questions remain.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 pm Note that a jump to a newer version is an upgrade, not an update. Upgrades are never automatic.
Well, if we're arguing semantics, the distinction between updates and upgrades isn't that clear cut. The terms are often used interchangeably. All package management tools (apt, dpkg, synaptic, aptitude, etc.) call every installation of a higher version of an already installed package an upgrade (a lower version is a downgrade), whereas an update refers to getting the latest version of resource files (repository manifests). All the Mint tools, on the other hand, refer to both of these actions as updates.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

smurphos wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:08 pm
JerryF wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:01 pm The OP said nothing about being a computer technician nor getting paid for the job.
He did state he was a computer technician and works for a library system in his first post/topic. Could be a volunteer of course. To be fair to both gm10 has helped him out quite a lot already but 'technician' in a job title these days could mean a lot of things and certainly to me doesn't necessarily imply specific skill, experience or qualifications beyond being 'good with computers'.
I have yet to see the original post say that cereal_killerxx is a computer tech.

Original post:
I'm in the process of setting up public access laptops for a library system using Linux Mint 19. I need to fine tune some of the settings for automatic updates if possible.

1. Can updates be installed in the background with no pop-ups or user interaction?
2. Can I tell Linux Mint 19 to automatic download and install updates in the background but not to automatically restart?
3. Can I set schedules for updates (example: The second Tuesday of every month)?
4. Will automatic updates still work during a guest user session?
5. Can I delay critical updates a certain number of days?
6. Can I disable Linux Mint from updating to Linux Mint 20 or a new build?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:48 pm the distinction between updates and upgrades isn't that clear cut. The terms are often used interchangeably.
Fair enough, but I've never seen any Mint tool referring to going from 18.x to 18.x+1 or from 18.x to 19 as an update. Only ever 'upgrade'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

JerryF wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:02 pm I have yet to see the original post say that cereal_killerxx is a computer tech.
Different topic JerryF - viewtopic.php?p=1497754#p1497754
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I suppose cereal_killerxx himself is off cooking dinner for those twenty hungry orphans in Zambia that he's setting the library system up for in the first place...
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

smurphos wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:13 pm
JerryF wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:02 pm I have yet to see the original post say that cereal_killerxx is a computer tech.
Different topic JerryF - viewtopic.php?p=1497754#p1497754
Ah, ok. My psychic hat is in the cleaners. :wink:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:49 am
He may be a qualified computer technician, but very new to Linux and Mint.

I don't understand why a few of you are jumping down his throat? :?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
This is a tech support forum. Can we stop talking about people in this thread, and start/keep talking about automatic updates? And if there is nothing more to say about that, it's also okay to go and do something else.

cereal_killerxx

I apologize for posting here about something job related. I wasn't trying to start any drama. I was having difficulties finding some of this information. I've had a lot of anxiety lately. Thanks everyone for the answers provided.

Return to “Beginner Questions”