How to disable red delete button?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BluAngel

How to disable red delete button?

Post by BluAngel »

Hiya, I really need to disable the red delete button (red cross) so that my kids can only 'move' stuff to the rubbish bin. They see the red cross and delete and keep permanently deleting stuff without realising its not like the windows delete button. I’ve done it myself and its driving me mad, Anyone know if its possible to do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: How to disable red delete button?

Post by gm10 »

You can disable the Delete option in your file browser preferences, on the Behaviour tab.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Can you post the result of this command:

Code: Select all

inxi -S
That way we'll know which Mint you're using.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Most will want to know what DE you are using.
But this is worth a shot.
In file manager EDIT > preferences > behavior > at the bottom of that screen remove the tick from "bypass trash".
Then when you right click on something the red "X" delete won't be there, will say move to trash (or similar)

Works on Mate anyway, and I had to double check as I don't use trash can.

EDIT; sorry, typed this, went away came back, hit submit, and see gm10 already got it.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi.
You can disable the Delete option in your file browser preferences, on the Behaviour tab.
I do not see any option to disable the Delete operation in file-manager Thunar. So I suspect whether or not the Delete operation can be disabled depends on the file-manager, Thunar, Caja, Nemo; and the file-manager is tied to the desktop environment xfce, Mate, Cinnamon.
This is why JerryF is right in asking for the inxi -S output. It will reveal the desktop environment and as a consequence the file-manager as well.

Seems as if Caja and Nemo users can disable the Delete operation, whereas Thunar users cannot do so.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

karlchen wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:18 pm Hi.
I do not see any option to disable the Delete operation in file-manager Thunar. So I suspect whether or not the Delete operation can be disabled depends on the file-manager, Thunar, Caja, Nemo; and the file-manager is tied to the desktop environment xfce, Mate, Cinnamon.
This is why JerryF is right in asking for the inxi -S output. It will reveal the desktop environment and as a consequence the file-manager as well.

Seems as if Caja and Nemo users can disable the Delete operation, whereas Thunar users cannot do so.

Cheers,
Karl
Thanks Karl,

This is yet another reminder that people need to include their inxi -xxx info.
I apologize for any misinformation, I have passed about...a couple of times today.
I like linux mint, and this forum

Rick
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
gm10

Post by gm10 »

rickNS wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 pm This is yet another reminder that people need to include their inxi -xxx info.
I apologize for any misinformation, I have passed about...a couple of times today.
I don't think it is misinformation or something to apologize for. To me it's just more efficient the way we did it. In most cases what we said will solve the problem, and should OP be part of the minority of Xfce users they'd just come back and say they didn't find that tab and we'd say sorry, not possible in Xfce. It's faster that way both for us and the OP rather than add a back-and-forth asking for inxi info (which ideally would have been included from the start). Just IMHO.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Thinking there must be a way to do this in thunar I had a quick hunt around the xfce wiki. There are more settings hidden away, but not one to disable the delete button.

https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/hidden-settings

There are some instructions here on compiling a custom version of thunar without the delete button - beware they are for a different version of thunar and reference using mousepad as a text editor - so don't blindly follow word for word - but the principle and basic steps should be the same.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/337225/ ... -in-thunar
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jollyjack »

FWIW, i also use XFCE, but I installed NEMO, and use that in preference to Thunar. You have to go into Settings->Preferred Applications->Utilities, to confirm the change, but it works.

Cheers

Return to “Beginner Questions”