Taskbar and background on dual monitor

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bhola_singh
Level 1
Level 1

Taskbar and background on dual monitor

Post by bhola_singh » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:16 pm

I have a monitor attached to the linux laptop. I would like both screens to NOT Mirror and be two separate desktops. So far, I have managed to get them to be like this, with the monitor being the primary display. However, I only see the background and panel in the monitor but not in the laptop, even though I have specified a custom pic as the background on that monitor.

Also, if you look at the screenshot, if I say the panel spans monitors then the right side portion of my taskbar (with time, notification area, etc.) vanishes i.e. I don't see any panel in the laptop monitor. If I uncheck spans monitor then I can see the panel with all items in it in the monitor.

Code: Select all

[url=http://i.imgur.com/Q7Zw5F8.png]
  [img]http://imgur.com/Q7Zw5F8l.png[/img]
[/url]

How do I get different background on the monitors and either have one panel extend to both/visible or two different panels?

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Taskbar and background on dual monitor

Post by rickNS » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Neither of those links work.

Only the primary screen has a panel, you can add a panel on that screen, then drag it to the other.

Different wall papers on each screen, is somewhat distro / DE dependent. I won't say impossible on some DEs, but probably more effort than worth.
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

Return to “Newbie Questions”