[Solved] Mint 19 Leafpad word wrap setting not remembered

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vansloneker

[Solved] Mint 19 Leafpad word wrap setting not remembered

Post by vansloneker »

I installed Mint 19 for someone else. In this setup I installed Leafpad. It does not remember word wrap.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 19 Leafpad word wrap setting not remembered

Post by xenopeek »

Can't reproduce. Just installed leafpad on Linux Mint 19 and toggling word wrap, closing and restart leafpad, it's still what I set it to.

It stores its configuration in ~/.config/leafpad/leafpadrc. Perhaps that directory isn't writable for some reason (can happen when you run GUI programs as root with sudo, makes stuff in your home directory be owned by root). Check that first.

It's a weird format but here is the file for me with word wrap disabled:

Code: Select all

Monospace 12
And with word wrap enabled (3rd line from bottom changed from 0 to 1):

Code: Select all

Monospace 12
vansloneker

Re: Mint 19 Leafpad word wrap setting not remembered

Post by vansloneker »

Thanks very much for taking the trouble of investigating this.
Your guess is perfect: the folder was owned by root and no rights for the user.
I've set rights for the user and now it works as it should be.

I remember when I installed this, the Software Manager hung and I had to close and start it over again. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”