Linux Mint on USB (xtra-pc) not saving on exit

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mattsonj
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint on USB (xtra-pc) not saving on exit

Post by mattsonj » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:50 pm

I purchased a usb stick that has Linux Mint on it (it's supposed to revive my old Toshiba laptop). I'm supposed to be able to just use it from the usb stick when its plugged in, and when it's not plugged in, boot as normal to windows. My problem when I am Linux Mint, I create folders, documents, setup a wireless printer, but when I shut the computer down, the next time I restart Linux Mint, from the USB stick, it boots to the Linux Mint startup screen, but none of the changes I made before are there. Folders are gone, documents I created are gone, the printer that I set up is gone, etc. I bought the 64 meg usb stick over the 32 mb stick, so I could save more. Does anyone know why it isn't saving anything? Note: When I shut the computer down, a screen tells me to remove the installation medium, then press enter. I do that and it shuts down as expected.
Thanks... John

JeremyB
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint on USB (xtra-pc) not saving on exit

Post by JeremyB » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:54 pm

The USB sticks are just to try or install Linux Mint, most are not persistent and will not save changes

Kal1b3r
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint on USB (xtra-pc) not saving on exit

Post by Kal1b3r » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:06 pm

To be able to save your documents that you create on a live USB, you will need to setup the drive to be persistent. USB drives that are purchased pre-loaded with a Linux distro on it are usually not setup to be persistent. There are ways to make the drive persistent without having to reinstall Linux to the drive and tutorials on different forums and sites to do such. I have found it easier to just create a persistent drive when installing onto a USB drive though as it usually causes less problems.

Here is a link to a tutorial on how to create a persistent USB drive on the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=123345#p676474

hope this helps out.

Return to “Newbie Questions”