Linux Mint on USB (xtra-pc) not saving on exit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattsonj

Linux Mint on USB (xtra-pc) not saving on exit

Post by mattsonj »

I purchased a usb stick that has Linux Mint on it (it's supposed to revive my old Toshiba laptop). I'm supposed to be able to just use it from the usb stick when its plugged in, and when it's not plugged in, boot as normal to windows. My problem when I am Linux Mint, I create folders, documents, setup a wireless printer, but when I shut the computer down, the next time I restart Linux Mint, from the USB stick, it boots to the Linux Mint startup screen, but none of the changes I made before are there. Folders are gone, documents I created are gone, the printer that I set up is gone, etc. I bought the 64 meg usb stick over the 32 mb stick, so I could save more. Does anyone know why it isn't saving anything? Note: When I shut the computer down, a screen tells me to remove the installation medium, then press enter. I do that and it shuts down as expected.
Thanks... John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint on USB (xtra-pc) not saving on exit

Post by JeremyB »

The USB sticks are just to try or install Linux Mint, most are not persistent and will not save changes
Kal1b3r

Re: Linux Mint on USB (xtra-pc) not saving on exit

Post by Kal1b3r »

To be able to save your documents that you create on a live USB, you will need to setup the drive to be persistent. USB drives that are purchased pre-loaded with a Linux distro on it are usually not setup to be persistent. There are ways to make the drive persistent without having to reinstall Linux to the drive and tutorials on different forums and sites to do such. I have found it easier to just create a persistent drive when installing onto a USB drive though as it usually causes less problems.

Here is a link to a tutorial on how to create a persistent USB drive on the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=123345#p676474

hope this helps out.

Return to “Beginner Questions”