[Solved] Mint 19 Clonezilla failed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vansloneker

[Solved] Mint 19 Clonezilla failed

Post by vansloneker »

I have upgraded a laptop for someone with a SSD and installed Windows 10 as primary OS. I then installed Mint 19 as secondary OS. I followed the standard procedure to install Mint alongside Windows 10. Immediately after finishing install curiously I was unable to find the installed partition in the file manager of the Live USB I was running. I rebooted into my Mint18.3 stick to resize the Mint partition and create a data partition. However resizing -in Gparted- failed and it was not clear to me why. For sure I rebooted and did a file system check. Then rebooted into the Mint 19 live USB and finally could resize and make the EXT4 partition for use of various data and Clonezilla images. I successfully cloned Windows 10 to an image. However when cloning Mint 19 an error occurs: "extfsclone.c: bitmap error at 66 group"
This repeatedly also when trying an other version of Clonezilla. I am stuck here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Mint 19 Clonezilla failed

Post by kukamuumuka »

vansloneker wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:55 pm I followed the standard procedure to install Mint alongside Windows 10.
What is "standard procedure to install"?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

vansloneker wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:55 pm ...
I rebooted into my Mint18.3 stick to resize the Mint partition and create a data partition. However resizing -in Gparted- failed and it was not clear to me why.
Are you sure you booted the live usb to resize the Mint partition or were you in the installed version?
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

administrollaattori wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:00 pm
vansloneker wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:55 pm I followed the standard procedure to install Mint alongside Windows 10.
What is "standard procedure to install"?
Where the installer suggests to install Mint alongside Windows and creates partitions and bootloader.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

JerryF wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:45 pm
vansloneker wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:55 pm ...
I rebooted into my Mint18.3 stick to resize the Mint partition and create a data partition. However resizing -in Gparted- failed and it was not clear to me why.
Are you sure you booted the live usb to resize the Mint partition or were you in the installed version?
Hey, I know the difference between my 18.3 stick and a fresh 19 install.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Geez, just checking.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

nvm
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

vansloneker wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:55 pm However when cloning Mint 19 an error occurs: "extfsclone.c: bitmap error at 66 group"
This repeatedly also when trying an other version of Clonezilla. I am stuck here.
Google suggests that you should use checking before cloning.
https://www.google.fi/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=UTF-8

PS. Mint 19 has a new version from ext4, so that can be an issue.
https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ ... 4_features
https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Well here we are, so that's it. Thanks for bringing this up administrollaattori.

My solution will be: out 19, back to 18.3
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Clonezilla version 2.5.6-22 works 100% with Mint19. I experienced the same issues checking and resizing with 19. You must use a newer version of Clonezilla to check a Mint partition. The older versions (my "go-to" has been 2.3.1-18 for years now) will act like they are checking, and give no warning, but fail to check. Also you must use a Mint19 usb to run gparted on a Mint19 partition.

I know this is not a Clonezilla forum, but a piece of advice hopefully will not go amiss here: If you are used to the old(er) versions of Cz, the first few times you run the new, be mindful of the screen prompts as you are clicking thru the setup prior to cloning. There have been some changes and it's very easy to follow your old "clicking habits". This was especially hard for me as I've used 2.3.1-18 for so long, and so often, that muscle memory got me in trouble a couple of times!
Faust

Post by Faust »

Excellent stuff - thanks for posting !

I've just checked my version and it's 2.4.2-10 , so I'll grab the updated version right now .
It has never put a foot wrong ( so far ) but I haven't needed to try it with Mint19 , mainly because I'm still trying hard to like 19
enough to bother using it :D

You have probably saved me hours of wasted time at some point in the future !
bjmh46 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:50 am ....
be mindful of the screen prompts as you are clicking thru the setup prior to cloning. There have been some changes and it's very easy to follow your old "clicking habits". This was especially hard for me as I've used 2.3.1-18 for so long, and so often, that muscle memory got me in trouble a couple of times!
That scenario sounds very familiar .... been there , done that :lol:
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

bjmh46 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:50 am Clonezilla version 2.5.6-22 works 100% with Mint19. I experienced the same issues checking and resizing with 19. You must use a newer version of Clonezilla to check a Mint partition. The older versions (my "go-to" has been 2.3.1-18 for years now) will act like they are checking, and give no warning, but fail to check. Also you must use a Mint19 usb to run gparted on a Mint19 partition.

I know this is not a Clonezilla forum, but a piece of advice hopefully will not go amiss here: If you are used to the old(er) versions of Cz, the first few times you run the new, be mindful of the screen prompts as you are clicking thru the setup prior to cloning. There have been some changes and it's very easy to follow your old "clicking habits". This was especially hard for me as I've used 2.3.1-18 for so long, and so often, that muscle memory got me in trouble a couple of times!
You are very right about this: I use an older version of Clonezilla. I remember at one time the boot procedure became ridiculous complicated that's when I decided to keep using the one that worked good for me.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Faust wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:14 am ...
It has never put a foot wrong ( so far ) but I haven't needed to try it with Mint19 , mainly because I'm still trying hard to like 19
enough to bother using it :D

Same here. I did 19 to give this inexperienced person the latest and most updated version.
It's not just disliking the looks, I waited for the LTS18.3 to arrive and then invested time and energy in getting to grips with it and installing it on my systems.
I don't feel like reinstalling -and cloning!- everything over again on a dozen of systems when there is no absolute need for it.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I downloaded the latest version of Clonezilla and put it on my E2B stick. That purple background really is ghastly. Anyway I was able to perform the backup image clone.

Return to “Beginner Questions”