Ubuntu Upgrades [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Justin Time
Level 3
Level 3

Ubuntu Upgrades [SOLVED]

Post by Justin Time »

Is unbuntu the heart of linux? I'm getting SO many security and upgrade notices. I'm leery of doing them because I keep getting the following box in the graphic. With the BIG ! in the triangle... that tells me something is not safe.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input.
libwoff.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Unbuntu Upgrades

Post by Moem »

Linux Mint is indeed based on Ubuntu Linux.
And the big exclamation mark just means 'Your attention, please'. Not 'Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Actually, it's Linux that's the heart of Ubuntu. Mint is based on Ubuntu, as several other distros are based on Ubuntu.

Are you currently using (and showing that message from) Mint?
Justin Time
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Justin Time »

Yes.

After checking the boxes, then go to install, that box pops up. *Cancel or OK*

I may have some memories from my days with Windows. Everything was a SECURITY Upgrade. Asking myself, "What garbage do you want to add to my PC now, that I'm not aware of and probably don't want?"
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Of course everything is a security upgrade or bug fix. You installed an LTS release, so that's all you get.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Justin Time wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:53 pm Yes.

After checking the boxes, then go to install, that box pops up. *Cancel or OK*

I may have some memories from my days with Windows. Everything was a SECURITY Upgrade. Asking myself, "What garbage do you want to add to my PC now, that I'm not aware of and probably don't want?"
You can set which type of updates you want by opening Update Manager and the going into Edit, Preferences.

There are Levels you can choose and if you want Kernel updates and Security updates.

It's your choice. :wink:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Justin Time wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:31 pm Is unbuntu the heart of linux?
No, the Linux kernel is the heart of Linux. Technically Linux is just the kernel. Mint, Ubuntu et al are actaully GNU/Linux. The GNU bit is the open source wrapper around the kernel. Android uses the Linux kernel with their pwn patches and uses a closed source proprietary wrapper.
I'm getting SO many security and upgrade notices. I'm leery of doing them because I keep getting the following box in the graphic. With the BIG ! in the triangle... that tells me something is not safe.
It's quite normal for package installation to add other packages in addition to the one you marked. This is because Linux is very, very modular. I'm often getting updates for programs I haven't heard of before.

WHere you DO need to watch out in installation is when it tells you something will be REMOVED whe you install. Especially is you're trying to install software that isn't in the regular Software manager ie. the repos. Which I don't do very often, and it's recommended that beginners not add any additional sources.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 am Android uses the Linux kernel with their pwn patches and uses a closed source proprietary wrapper.
Not entirely true. The Android Open Source Project is exactly that and is on its own a functional if basic OS. Sure most Android devices are distributed with Google's proprietary software on top of AOSP, and the OEMs chuck in proprietary binary blobs for hardware compatibility but Android in its basic form is Open Source.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Ubuntu Upgrades

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Justin Time.
Justin Time wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:31 pmI'm leery of doing them because I keep getting the following box in the graphic. With the BIG ! in the triangle... that tells me something is not safe.
libwoff.png
You are misunderstanding the message completely.
As a rule, Mintupdate only offers updated software packages for those software packages, which are already present in your system.
There is one exception to this rule:
Sometimes the list of dependent software packages, which an installed software package needs, changes.
In such a case you will read a message like the one that you read. It informs you that updating will add 2 more software packages to your system.

There is no reason to be worried about safety in such a case.
Install the update and go on with life.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Justin Time
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Ubuntu Upgrades [SOLVED]

Post by Justin Time »

I want to thank everyone for their insight and opinions. The support here is at the top of the list and I enjoy the different angles each reply shows.

As a member, I try to set an example for others. Not sure what brought it to mind but I thought, "You forgot to mark that post as Solved in the Forum."

Apologies to the good people here. Marking posts as solved helps move them to the bottom of the pile. Problems/posts which are new or still exist can be given more focus using this step.

Thanks to all and keep up the good work. :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”