Dependency is not satisfiable: openjdk-6-jre | openjdk-7-jre

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
josephsher

Dependency is not satisfiable: openjdk-6-jre | openjdk-7-jre

Post by josephsher »

I tried installing Xtreme Download Manager(xdman) with GDebi, but didn't allow me, but instead there was a big highlighted message said the following:-

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openjdk-6-jre | openjdk-7-jre

I downloaded this, openjdk-11 (latest version as supposed), thing, but didn't know how to install it, couldn't see the installation instructions in the documentation, nor did I find the INSTALL/README file in the unpacked materials.

How can I resolve this?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Dependency is not satisfiable: openjdk-6-jre | openjdk-7-jre

Post by Pjotr »

Don't install that foreign xdman tripe. Useless at best: you don't need a download manager. Furthermore, make it a rule to stick to what's in the official repo's.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
josephsher

Post by josephsher »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 pm Don't install that foreign xdman tripe. Useless at best: you don't need a download manager. Furthermore, make it a rule to stick to what's in the official repo's.
Pjotr, Thank you for the advice, but I am a bit curious now, how can I install such a thing in the upcoming future?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

josephsher wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:13 pm
Pjotr wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 pm Don't install that foreign xdman tripe. Useless at best: you don't need a download manager. Furthermore, make it a rule to stick to what's in the official repo's.
Pjotr, Thank you for the advice, but I am a bit curious now, how can I install such a thing in the upcoming future?
Web browsers like Firefox, Chromium and Chrome contain their own fine download managers by default. You don't need to install some dedicated snake oil download manager that (usually falsely) promises to speed up your downloads.
josephsher

Post by josephsher »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:15 pm
josephsher wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:13 pm
Web browsers like Firefox, Chromium and Chrome contain their own fine download managers by default. You don't need to install some dedicated snake oil download manager that (usually falsely) promises to speed up your downloads.
I won't install it. I just switched from Windows to Linux, and I have like a 1 month experience with Linux, and I am facing a hard time installing a lot of programs, well known programs, and they were the ones with no instructions, just like xdman. So I hope you can help me with that.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

josephsher wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:23 pm I won't install it.
Wise. :)
josephsher wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:23 pmI just switched from Windows to Linux, and I have like a 1 month experience with Linux, and I faced a hard time installing a lot of programs, well known programs, and they were the ones with no instructions, just like xdman. So I hope you can help me with that.
Wrong approach.... Better get used to the common Linux alternatives for the Windows apps you're used to. Some of those are installed by default in your Mint, others can be installed from Mint's own app store (Software Manager).

The thing to do for you, is to find out what those common Linux alternatives are. We on this forum can help you with that. Simply ask us what kind of apps you need, and for what purposes.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

josephsher wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:13 pm Pjotr, Thank you for the advice, but I am a bit curious now, how can I install such a thing in the upcoming future?
I disagree with Pjotr's position on this. Integrated downloads from within a browser are very slow. I use and recommend xdman: http://xdman.sourceforge.net/

It opens multiple threads and downloads far, far quicker.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

catweazel wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:27 pm Integrated downloads from within a browser are very slow.
Not on my machines. By default, Firefox, Chrome and Chromium all download blazing fast. Like they should.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:29 pm
catweazel wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:27 pm Integrated downloads from within a browser are very slow.
Not on my machines. Firefox, Chrome and Chromium all download blazing fast. Like they should.
I'm not going to do the time trials to prove the point. There are other advantages, such as controlling the number of simultaneous downloads, deferring some, downloading on a schedule, changing the download order, downloading from a pasted URL, limiting the bandwidth of a download, and more. All required features for heavy downloaders.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Before I switched to Linux, back in 2006, I tried some download managers in my Windows as well. Without exception, I found them to be snake oil.

They promised me the world in speed gains, but yielded minor download speed increases at most, at the cost of stability. Rubbish.
josephsher

Post by josephsher »

Some science branches should be forbidden to the priest's senses, because he might question his faith? Is this a rule in all Linux forums?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

josephsher wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:53 pm Some science branches should be forbidden to the priest's senses, because he might question his faith? Is this a rule in all Linux forums?
People are entitled to their opinions.
josephsher

Post by josephsher »

catweazel wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:56 pm People are entitled to their opinions.
Of course. But I am in forums.linuxmint.com not in opinions.linuxmint.com. :o
Supposed to be a positive waste of time. Not asking for a review nor for an opinion, obviously. :mrgreen:
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

josephsher wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:11 pm Of course. But I am in forums.linuxmint.com not in opinions.linuxmint.com. :o
Supposed to be a positive waste of time. Not asking for a review nor for an opinion, obviously. :mrgreen:
Hi Josephsher - I've got no axe to grind on this one - i agree with Catweazal that a good download manager can be a boon for some use cases. Clearly Pjotr doesn't have those use cases. Don't take his response personally - he's normally and often very helpful and is very knowledgeable.

So now onto to some support.... :roll: :wink:

Can you post a link to where you got your .deb file from and also confirm your Mint version?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

josephsher wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:11 pm
catweazel wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:56 pm People are entitled to their opinions.
Of course. But I am in forums.linuxmint.com not in opinions.linuxmint.com. :o
No worries mate, I won't ever waste your time again. Just to make 100 % sure of that, I've put you on my ignore filter list *plonk*.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Well, this thread is "interesting"...
josephsher wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:51 pm I tried installing Xtreme Download Manager(xdman) with GDebi, but didn't allow me, but instead there was a big highlighted message said the following:-

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: openjdk-6-jre | openjdk-7-jre

I downloaded this, openjdk-11 (latest version as supposed), thing, but didn't know how to install it, couldn't see the installation instructions in the documentation, nor did I find the INSTALL/README file in the unpacked materials.

How can I resolve this?
You resolve this by not downloading any random binary you come across. There are many different Linux distributions out there and binaries are not interchangeable even if they are legit (some may not be, be careful what you install to your system). The one you downloaded apparently isn't compatible with whatever Linux environment you are running.

I agree with Pjotr insofar as you're better off sticking to installing only Software available by default in the Software Manager, which is basically guaranteed to work without complications. At least until you better understand the implications. There are download managers available via Software Manager, personally I like uGet.

Otherwise include your inxi -Fxz as asked by the forum rules liked in the big red banner across every thread here and someone here can likely help you installing software not found in Software Manager.
josephsher

Post by josephsher »

smurphos wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:09 am
josephsher wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:11 pm Of course. But I am in forums.linuxmint.com not in opinions.linuxmint.com. :o
Hi Josephsher - I've got no axe to grind on this one - i agree with Catweazal that a good download manager can be a boon for some use cases. Clearly Pjotr doesn't have those use cases. Don't take his response personally - he's normally and often very helpful and is very knowledgeable.

So now onto to some support.... :roll: :wink:

Can you post a link to where you got your .deb file from and also confirm your Mint version?
No, I actually liked the guy. He advised me, but I already told him, in a way, that I will take the responsibilities of the knowledge that he gonna share with me and with whoever view this thread.
The problem actually resolved by itself, apparently there is an angel listening and released an update which I got this morning in the update manager(don't ask me how did they know which active user was I), or it was something I did and triggered the update manager to do it for me, really don't know how did that happened, but the package existed in a place called PPAS or something like that, will look it up in the upcoming days.
And I am using Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

OK it sounds like you've added a PPA (personal package archive) - an unofficial software repository at some point in trying to get this installed. They should be used with a little care/caution. What you've added might be fine, or it could potentially include packages that could damage your system. Given your response sounds like you ar not sure what you've done to fix this it might be worth double checking what's been added. :wink:

Can you report back the output of inxi -Sr - this will tell us what repositories and PPAs are currently active on your system.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI josephsher,

I just read your post and some of the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are two very popular and very good "download managers" for Linux "XDM 2018" and "uGet". The "XDM" Xtreme Download Manager is one of them that I use. These download managers use parallel downloading for much faster downloads 5-6 times faster than most browsers can by themselves with the exception of the "Slimjet" browser, and you can also download videos which the Chrome browser now blocks and as catweazel stated XDM can do more than that. In addition to the Linux application, there are browser extension add-ons (xdm 2018) that work with the desktop application although the desktop application can work without the browser extension add-ons installed.

Regarding Java messages: Linux Mint 19.x has had issues with many applications that use anything Java related because the default installed Java runtime is Java 11. You can resolve these issues by installing the Java 8 runtime one time and make it the default Java application using the instructions below. It is okay to have more than one version of Java installed but make Java 8 the default

Install the Java 8 runtime from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" or using the console terminal command below

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre
run this console terminal command and select Java 8 as the default.

sudo update-alternatives --config java
This is how I have been installing the XDM Xtreme Download Manager:
Read this: You Can Now Install Xtreme Download Manager In Any Linux Distribution Easily
https://www.noobslab.com/2018/02/you-ca ... nload.html

Install "wget" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" or using the console terminal command below
- used to download from the console terminal

sudo apt install wget
To install Xtreme Download Manager, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

>>For 64bit

mkdir xdm;cd xdm;wget -O xdm64.tar.xz https://sourceforge.net/projects/xdman/files/xdm-2018-x64.tar.xz/download

tar -xvf xdm64.tar.xz

sudo ./install.sh
>>For 32bit

mkdir xdm;cd xdm;wget -O xdm32.tar.xz https://sourceforge.net/projects/xdman/files/xdm-2018-x86.tar.xz/download

tar -xvf xdm64.tar.xz

sudo ./install.sh
Close the console terminal window.

XDM should be in your menus now. I recommend restarting your computer before running after first installing this.

FYI: There are some good options in the XDM settings and advanced settings (Tools->Options, scroll down) like "Launch XDM when the system starts" and "system tray icon (requires restarting XDM)", "Monitor Clipboard" (in browser settings), etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Beginner Questions”