quarantine email address, can do?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dougmack

quarantine email address, can do?

Post by dougmack »

I have been getting a whole batch of email which am sure is spam, and may be otherwise contaminated, all from an address that ends in .nl, which I
believe is Netherlands. I obviously don't open any of it, but I would like to delete it without seeing it altogether. I am using the Fossamail package,
which is a more-or-less clone of an older Thunderbird. Is there some way to send all addresses that end in .nl to the graveyard so I never see them at all?
If so, how?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: quarantine email address, can do?

Post by xenopeek »

In Thunderbird you can create message filters: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/or ... ng-filters
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You may be able to create filters on the server side, my email provider provides this capability and I use that rather than filters on the client side, evolution in my case.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
dougmack

Post by dougmack »

xenopeek's answer appears to work in Fossamail. I won't know for sure probably for a few days, but the sender at .nl is stubborn, so I'm sure there will
be some new entries in the trashbin by this time next week--or sooner, probably. (For the information of the readers here, the subjects have ranged
from Medicare Information to offering to enroll in Uber and Lyft, and one or two others. Beware!)
Thank you, xenopeek!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi dougmack

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I really like the Fossamail application, but they stopped supporting and or developing it a while ago. I would recommend using an email application that is still supported like Thunderbird.

FYI: In addition to setting up email filters in an email application, maybe your actual email provider through their website can also "block" or designate email addresses as spam like Google's Gmail can.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Beginner Questions”