error while installing software packages [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redlined

error while installing software packages [SOLVED]

Post by redlined »

Hi folks,

Using synaptic just now to install some programs and it ended with error:

W: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file '/root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_cl'
couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)

I still have synaptic open, is there anything I can/should do to correct this before (or after) closing?

Thank you~
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redlined

Re: error while installing software packages

Post by redlined »

?? perhaps this issue is related to my other issue post from a couple days ago Forced to login twice (every time!)
as this morning login was different following logoff normal last night, there was no second password/login dialog box to pop up as has been the case since I added Mate DE to existing Cinnamon original LM19 install.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...it's a cosmetic issue.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, redlined.
redlined wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:19 pmUsing synaptic just now to install some programs and it ended with error:

Code: Select all

W: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file '/root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_cl' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)
In this specific case, you may ignore the complaint. The reason is: Synaptic executed some action as user root, instead of user _apt. As a consequence, _apt does not have the needed privileges of deleting file /root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_cl, which is owned by root.
In case you should be worried that the directory /root/.synaptic/tmp/ might be filled with junk in the course of time, you may check with root privileges, what is in there. Here it is empty. So it seems as if root does not only create /root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_cl, but that root also deletes /root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_cl, when it is no longer needed.
The installation will have finished correctly, although the error message gets displayed.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
redlined

Post by redlined »

thx-1138 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:34 pm ...it's a cosmetic issue.
Thanks thx-1138, looks like that's it! haven't seen this 3 year old bug/error before.. I'll mark this issue [Solved]
redlined

Post by redlined »

karlchen wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 pm Hello, redlined.
In this specific case, you may ignore the complaint. The reason is: Synaptic executed some action as user root, instead of user _apt. As a consequence, _apt does not have the needed privileges of deleting file /root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_cl, which is owned by root.
In case you should be worried that the directory /root/.synaptic/tmp/ might be filled with junk in the course of time, you may check with root privileges, what is in there. Here it is empty. So it seems as if root does not only create /root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_cl, but that root also deletes /root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_cl, when it is no longer needed.
The installation will have finished correctly, although the error message gets displayed.

Best regards,
Karl
Thank you karlchen, issue resolved! I see it is an old bug from thx-1138's link, good to know I didn't just bork my system :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”