nothing mounts, something broke.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
davethewave
Level 1
Level 1

nothing mounts, something broke.

Post by davethewave » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:32 pm

When I try to open a drive in MATE it sits there, then eventually I try again, it says operation is pending. I wait some time and it says operation timed out. Then, after this, my programs all start crashing and not launching. This started to happen after I extended my root partition which is at /dev/sda3 and merged it with free space which was /dev/sda4. I did this from a live-CD environment as it was not giving the option to expand the partition while running.

sda4 no longer exists as it has merged with sda3. Is that possibly the cause? I was still able to mount a drive using the command line, but the program "Disks" and the file manager are unable to mount. The system is going crazy so I am on the windows boot now.

Can I fix this by dragging files from the live-CD over to the system (or is there a sfc /scannow for linux?) or do I have to re-install? thanks!

Seadreamer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: nothing mounts, something broke.

Post by Seadreamer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Trying to change the root partition is extremely risky, i'm not saying it can't be done but I would never try it. Probably the only way to truly fix it is to reinstall Mint after you have made all the partition changes. Load up Mint from a disk or usb and use gparted to make your changes.

There may be a sure fire way to fix it, but I don't know what it is.

Good luck
Homebrew Intel system
LinuxMint 19 Mate

Return to “Newbie Questions”