How do I reset the need for a login pasword?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drjim

How do I reset the need for a login pasword?

Post by drjim »

I'm using Mint Mate. In the past, I know I set it up so I didn't need to use my password whenever I start the system after the screen times out. I reinstalled Mint 19 yesterday, went through the adnin and pref categories several times and can't figure out how to do it again. Also, is there any way to avoid the need to password authentication when I start Chromium web browser?

Thanks,

Jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I reset the need for a login pasword?

Post by Seadreamer »

The easiest way was to set it to autologin when you installed Mint. Now you might try opening

Code: Select all

Menu/Control Center/login window
and see if you can change the login procedure. I have never needed it. I used the first method. Let me know if it works.

If you are talking about eliminating the password, you can't in Linux. at least it is strongly discouraged.
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
drjim

Post by drjim »

Actually, I set it for auto-login when I installed and it doesn't ask me for the PW when I start up, only if I leave the computer idle long enough for the screen to turn off. I guess I could set the screen to "never" turn off but I'd rather not.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

I have set the display to never turn off and use the screensaver (which you can set to blank). The screensaver has a lock screen option which I have not selected. My screen comes back with the press of a key or the use of the mouse.
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
drjim

Post by drjim »

Yes! That did it. I can't believe I messed with the screen saver utility 3-4 times and never noticed the 'lock screen" option.

Thanks!

Jim
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

Cool. happy to help.

You should mark this thread as solved. Edit the title of your first entry and add (Solved).
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games

Return to “Beginner Questions”