[Solved] Can Cinnamon applet be used in Mate? (No is the answer:)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
redlined
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Can Cinnamon applet be used in Mate? (No is the answer:)

Post by redlined » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:04 pm

There are a few applets I'd like to use in Mate as I found them very handy in Cinnamon, VPN Look-Out in particular as it shows green/red icon for VPN up/down and is much easier to see than the tiny lock on the connections tray icon.

I suppose my question is better as- is it possible to use applets/desklets in Mate? if so, how?

Thanks~
Last edited by redlined on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem kōan 42: Should tool manufacturers be required to fix their products so that you cannot use their saws to cut the tree branch that you're sitting on?

(The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is... 42!!;)

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Can Cinnamon applet be used in Mate? (LM19)

Post by smurphos » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:57 am

It's not unfortunately. Cinnamon applets are all JavaScript based and rely on CJS - the Cinnamon JavaScript interpreter - being in the system. You won't be able to run that in Mate.

redlined
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redlined » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:30 pm

oh, very good.. I figured as much but thought to ask :roll:
(now to find something similar for vpn alerting:)
Thank you smurphos and another big appreciation for your cinnamox themes! We both use Aubergine controls and borders (with the minty purple icon set), anyways, it was one of the big customizations that convinced us to abandon windows when I first installed LM18.3 cinnamon on both our laptops and got to digging around. yah, for sure, thanks for the work you do there too~
Moem kōan 42: Should tool manufacturers be required to fix their products so that you cannot use their saws to cut the tree branch that you're sitting on?

(The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is... 42!!;)

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:53 pm

redlined wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Thank you smurphos and another big appreciation for your cinnamox themes! We both use Aubergine.;...
You are welcome, and I'm glad the purple one has some fans. :)

redlined
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redlined » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:20 pm

smurphos wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:53 pm
You are welcome, and I'm glad the purple one has some fans. :)
tis the color of royalty and a mainstay theme locally, well done!

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 pm

Back in Mint Mate 9 we had "screenlets". You could resize them, and give them transparency. Had over heating issue at the time and the temperature one was handy to keep an eye on it.
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

redlined
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redlined » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:29 pm

rickNS wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 pm
Back in Mint Mate 9 we had "screenlets". You could resize them, and give them transparency. Had over heating issue at the time and the temperature one was handy to keep an eye on it.
hi rickNS! Perhaps I could find something searching for screenlets then or has such function since been stripped from Mate?

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:35 pm

redlined wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:29 pm
rickNS wrote:
hi rickNS! Perhaps I could find something searching for screenlets then or has such function since been stripped from Mate?
Actually I did just check software manager..."screenlets" are not there. I guess there are other ways to do most of the things that they did. I personally don'y want conky all over my desktop, not that I often see it anyway. And these t420 thinkpads run very cool. I will take a little look though.

rickNS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rickNS » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:44 pm

redlined wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:29 pm
rickNS wrote:
EDIT; apparently there "may" be options.
viewtopic.php?t=266916

There is something in software manager, gdesklets

and one mantioned in that first link;
https://www.noobslab.com/2017/03/screen ... -your.html

No idea if any of those works.

redlined
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redlined » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:46 pm

rickNS wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:35 pm
Actually I did just check software manager..."screenlets" are not there. I guess there are other ways to do most of the things that they did. I personally don'y want conky all over my desktop, not that I often see it anyway. And these t420 thinkpads run very cool. I will take a little look though.
I think most of the applets I liked can be replicated in effect with Cairo-Dock (which I use already) the VPN Look-Out applet though is proving difficult to figure a replacement for. I need to get a new HDD for my main laptop, this old one just can't deal with cinnamon very well

(edit to add for second response:

Thanks for those links rickNS, checking them now!

Return to “Newbie Questions”