Install LM 19

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
KenWA

Install LM 19

Post by KenWA »

I have recently decided to try Linux and installed Linux Mint 18 in a dual boot system with Windows 7 on a Lenovo ThinkPad T410.

I have not actually got around to using Linux apart from doing a couple of updates and now we are presented with Linux Mint 19 so I thought I might as well upgrade now before I had accumulated any personal files etc. I read the instructions published by Clem on the Community channel and decided that I was too ignorant to carry out the full upgrade and thought I would just use the disk provided with LXF 240 and do a fresh install. However, on booting up the disk it recognises that there are two existing operating systems but offers to install LM 19 in addition to these and there is no option to overwrite LM 18.3.

How can I remove the existing LM 18.3 files to enable me to do a fresh installation of LM 19 in its place?
srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Install LM 19

Post by srq2625 »

The short answer is to, when you are presented with the option, "Do Something Else" and then do the install in the partition(s) you used for your LM 18 installation.

If you need more help than that, please come back with additional questions.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

KenWA wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:34 am
How can I remove the existing LM 18.3 files to enable me to do a fresh installation of LM 19 in its place?
You need to do it manually by choosing the "Something else" install method.

At the window with the colorful Partition Table, click on all the LM 18 partitions and click "-" or minus to delete them. Remember not to touch any of the Win 7 partitions before you click OK to delete a partition and when doing manual partitioning.
....... After the deletion of all the Linux partitions, a new free-space will be created. Click on this free-space and click "+" or Add to manually partition the free space. For LM 19, there is no need to create a Swap partition because a Swap file will be auto-created instead(applicable for no-encryption install). Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the whole internal hard-drive or /sda. ...
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/

P S - Old MBR or ms-dos disks are limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in size. Hence, the often use of Logical partitions for LM in a dual-boot system.
KenWA

Post by KenWA »

Thank you.
After deleting the LM18 partition I end up with
sda1 ntfs Win 7
sda6 ext4 Free
sda5 swap
The install program asks for 'device for boot loader installation' but will not accept sda6.
What next?
KenWA

Post by KenWA »

Follow up.

The choice for selection also includes sda which appears to be the entire hard disk. Do I select this or will that wipe out Winb7 as well?
KenWA

Post by KenWA »

To continue. I read the instructions again and note that use of the entire disk is recommended. I tried this but it is also rejected withe message "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu."
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

KenWA wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 am
Thank you.
After deleting the LM18 partition I end up with
sda1 ntfs Win 7
sda6 ext4 Free
sda5 swap
The install program asks for 'device for boot loader installation' but will not accept sda6.
What next?
You need to delete the Swap partition as well bc it is part of LM 18. Then click on the free-space and manually partition it, as per the above link I had provided, ie create a root or / partition of about 40GB and a large-ish Home partition(to store your data, eg movies, music, photos, web-files, etc).

Have a look at ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=279735&p=1540380#p1540380 - Legacy BIOS dual-boot tutorials. Scroll down for the dell.com link which shows the "Something else" install method for dual-boot.
KenWA

Post by KenWA »

I never really got on top of partitioning with Windows and do not know where or how to start in LM. After I have deleted the LM and swap files and have Windows and much free space, could I not just reboot into Linux 19 again and choose to install alongside Windows? I gather that will not create a /Home partition but I am starting from scratch here and am happy to deal with partitioning (much) later in my Linux career.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

KenWA wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:34 am
After I have deleted the LM and swap files and have Windows and much free space, could I not just reboot into Linux 19 again and choose to install alongside Windows?
Yes, you can also do that.

You could have also used the built-in GParted program from the Live LM 19 media to delete all the LM 18 partitions before running the LM 19 Installer to use the easier and automatic option for "Install LM alongside Windows".
KenWA

Post by KenWA »

Thank you for all the advice. I was unable to carry out my original suggestion since if, after deleting the LM18 partition using either 'Quit' or doing a full 'Shutdown' , a further attempt to install was not possible because the partition was back again! Eventually I used GParted from the live CD to delete the LM18 partition (it would not delete the swap file) and then installed LM19 alongside Win7.

I am now trying to work my way through various settings but have run in to a problem. I entered an overall password for the installation but asked to be logged in automatically. However, it appears that I still need to use the password for various programs, e.g. Timeshift. Several attempts to do so have failed because I am entering the wrong password. I must have made some typo when entering the original so am locked out of all sensitive programs. Is there some way I can check on the stored password and change it?
KenWA

Post by KenWA »

Update.
I solved the problem by deleting the new LM partition and then installing it again - taking careful note of the password entry. It appears my keyboard lags a bit. I entered an 8 character password and there were only 6 .dots. recorded in my account.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

KenWA wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:32 am
I am now trying to work my way through various settings but have run in to a problem. I entered an overall password for the installation but asked to be logged in automatically. However, it appears that I still need to use the password for various programs, e.g. Timeshift. Several attempts to do so have failed because I am entering the wrong password. I must have made some typo when entering the original so am locked out of all sensitive programs.
Auto-login only bypasses the need for a password for logging-in. This setting does not eliminate the need for a root or Admin password when you want to access tools or apps that can make major changes to the OS. It's the same as the difference between an Admin and Standard/Limited user account in Win 7. A non-root or Limited user account is safer, especially when web-surfing.

Good day.

Return to “Newbie Questions”