How to create Wlan from Lan ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ms1

How to create Wlan from Lan ?

Post by Ms1 »

Hello.
:)
Im using Mint Tara 19 (64-bit) on my Elitebook2560p.
I have Internet with my Lan- Cable.
I want to make a Hotspot: I want to use my smartphone or offer my friend wlan.
I watched several tutorials on youtube and read several forums and articles. I couldnt find the answer for me.
How can I use my Lan and turn it into wlan with my laptop?

So i want to use my laptop as router (for all kind of phones if possible).

If i couldnt explain properly, please let me know.
:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How to create Wlan from Lan ?

Post by kato181 »

Hi,
i'm not sure if i will be wrong or not as to what i'm about to say as i'm not tech savy with linux myself but am getting there.
You did not specify if you have a wifi modem/router.
I'm assuming it's not seeing you are connected via an ethernet cable, if you do have a wifi modem then give your friend access to it by setting him up with it, and i'm not sure if you can create a hotspot using you phone if the modem is not wifi.
As i said i may be wrong in my assumptions, but i'm sure other ppl will guide you.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

You have a LAN. What router does it use to connect to the Internet? Does the router have wifi capability? If it does not then you could connect an access point to it. If you have an old router with wifi you could configure it and use it as an access point. I would need to know more about your present setup.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Ms1

Post by Ms1 »

Hello.
Thanks for the answers.
I dont have a router or a modem.
I connected the Lan cable from the socket in the wall to my laptop.
I want to use my laptop as router.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Post results for

Code: Select all

ifconfig
Ms1

Post by Ms1 »

thats an other problem:
i cant open my terminal. :(
N3wb

Post by N3wb »

Go to System Settings > Network > Wi-Fi tab
There should be a Use as Hotspot option.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Access Point and Router are not the same thing. Granted, SoHo routers often have switch and access point built in, but you need to understand how these three components work before you can decide what you need to accomplish your goal. Chances are you need just to create an access point, not a router.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Ms1 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:50 pm Hello.
Thanks for the answers.
I dont have a router or a modem.
I connected the Lan cable from the socket in the wall to my laptop.
I want to use my laptop as router.
I'm wondering if you are on dial up, are you sure it's a LAN cable. Who is your internet provider? Can you use the telephone while you are on line? To connect to the internet you will need a modem, somewhere. If you are just plugging into a socket in the wall, you may have a dial up modem built into your laptop or, that socket on the wall is wired back to a modem or network switch elsewhere, eventually there will be a modem. Until we can determine exactly how you connect to the 'net it is going to be difficult to give some meaningful advice.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Ms1,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

You need to have some type of WiFi device to allow others to connect with wirelessly. Does the laptop also have a working WiFi adapter built-in or do you also have a USB WiFi adapter?

Wifi Hotspot in Ubuntu/Xubuntu - Saiwal's HomePage
http://home.iitk.ac.in/~saiwal/producti ... i-hotspot/

How to Create Wi-Fi Hotspot in Ubuntu 17.04 (Support Android)
http://tipsonubuntu.com/2017/04/23/crea ... ntu-17-04/

Make a bridge Ethernet to WIFI | Trisquel GNU/Linux - Run free!
https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/make-bridge-ethernet-wifi

phd21 wrote:Another easy option would be to get a portable WiFi Router (appx: $20us-$50us+) or use a regular WiFi router which you could easily connect to your Ethernet port, then you and others could connect to the router using WiFi or if the router has extra ethernet ports then those too.

Example of Mini-portable routers
- I have the one below and it works great
Amazon.com: GL.iNet GL-MT300N Mini Travel Router, Wi-Fi Converter, OpenWrt Pre-installed, Repeater Bridge, 300Mbps High Performance, OpenVPN Client, Tor Compatible $20us
Convert a network(wired/wireless) to a private Wi-Fi hotspot for secure surfing. Tethering, 3G/4G USB Modem Compatible. Powered by any laptop USB, power banks or 5V DC adapters
https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-MT300 ... p_pl_dp_11

These are dual-band
Amazon.com: GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router, 300Mbps(2.4G)+433Mbps(5G) Wi-Fi, 128MB RAM, MicroSD Storage Support, OpenWrt/LEDE pre-installed, Power Adapter and Cables Included $45us
https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-AR750 ... ef=sr_1_54

Amazon.com: GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext Gigabit Travel AC Router (Slate), 300Mbps(2.4G)+433Mbps(5G) Wi-Fi, 128MB RAM, MicroSD Support, OpenWrt/LEDE pre-Installed, Cloudflare DNS, Power Adapter Cables Included $70us
https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-AR750 ... 5R7Z2B250D

Regular WiFi routers

Amazon.com: wifi router - 4 Stars & Up
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wifi+router& ... _nr_p_72_1

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Ms1

Post by Ms1 »

thank u all for all the nice comments.
i have to inform myself about a lot of things now.
also i think that a lot of my problems are relared to an imperfect mint version, e.g. non-working terminal.
so i will read about routers, access points, modems etc. and i will write back when i have solved these underlying problems.

again thank yu all very much

Return to “Beginner Questions”