Couple of questions from a total newbie coming from Vista...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Till
Level 1
Level 1

Couple of questions from a total newbie coming from Vista...

Post by Till »

Hallo everyone, glad to be in the Mint forums. I am from Athens, Greece, and this must be my 7th try in the last 14-15 years to migrate to Linux. I've been through older versions of Red Hat, Mandrake, Corel (!) Ubuntu and other Linux distributions, but I always had serious problems, and little time to find solutions, so I always ended up in Windows... Anyway, this is my first try in Linux Mint 7, and it is going great so far (but I am dual booting with Vista, just in case). I really hope this time I will have the patience to stick with the plan (witch is, migrate to Linux 100%). So, although I consider myself as a very experienced Windows user, I am a total noob concering Linux. I feel like I am learning computers from scratch (and this is pretty mutch the case). But Mint 7 looks great, and Compiz is lightyears ahead from Aero...

So to begin with, I have a few newbie questions:

- First of all, I noticed on many Linux distributions a nice short bar on the bottom center of the screen (not the bar where the menu is), with various shortcuts on it. What is the name of this thing, and where can I get it? I would like to have it on my desktop, although I would preffer to have it on the upper side of the screen... And I guess it is customizable, right?

- Second, I have an old Creative NX Ultra webcam. Is it supported in Mint 7? I only need it for video through instant messaging (something like Windows Messenger). If there is a way to make it work, what instant messenger should I use? I tried Kopete, but I can't get the camera to work. and if i can't get it to work, do you know of any other webcam compatible (so that I can plug it in and do the job)?

- Third. I recently bought a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic cell phone. Is there any way to synchronize my phone Calendar/Contacts with Thunderbird (or any other Calendar/ Contacts application)?

- Fourth. I have a Canon Pixma ip1600 printer, a Canon Ixus 80 IS digital camera, and a Trancend T.Sonic 850 mp3 player. I haven't had time to try them out yet, but I guess I wont have any problems with them. If you know of any trouble about those devides, please inform.

- Fifth and last. I have a Logitech G11 keyboard, and it has a volume controller on it. Is there a way to make it work on Mint 7?

Thats all my questions for now, I am sure there will be more to come in the near future. I must apologize for putting them all together in the same post, but it is 5 o clock in the morning, Ive been playing aroung with the OS for the past 6 hours, and I saw this nice "newbe questions" forum, so... please don't yell at me :-)

So, thank you all in advance for your support, and Thank You for a great Linux distribution. Hopefully, this one will stay on my PC...

bharani
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Couple of questions from a total newbie coming from Vista...

Post by bharani »

I can answer only a couple of questions

1. It is called panel. Right click on task bar (Panel in Linux) and select new panel.It should create a panel on Top.But you can change the where the panel is shown by right clicking and selecting properties on the new panel.To add shortcuts to it just drag an application from mint menu to your panel.

3. There are applications like gammu and gnokii that can connect with Nokia cell phones.But i dont have any luck using them with mu nokia n72.Instead i used funambol to sync my thunderbird contacts and calendar with my phone.

Till
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Till »

bharani wrote: 1. It is called panel. Right click on task bar (Panel in Linux) and select new panel.It should create a panel on Top.But you can change the where the panel is shown by right clicking and selecting properties on the new panel.To add shortcuts to it just drag an application from mint menu to your panel.
Actually, I was not reffering to panel, but in this bar:
red-gnome-themes.jpg
red-gnome-themes.jpg (64.93 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
Its the one on the bottom center of the screen. I have seen sutch a bar in way too many Linux screenshots, I I wonder what is the name of this thing, and how do I get it...

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Didn't you answer your own question, it is a theme, looks like apple's deskpad/launcher/app bar
--pick your own name, I am sure that there is no official name for whatever it is/can be called..
http://laptoplogic.com/pimping-the-gnom ... -in-ubuntu
Many individuals like the (Mac OS X-inspired) launch dock. There are a few available: Cairo, Kiba, AWN, Wbar, Sim, etc. If you don't want a dock to launch apps from, there's also a simple minimized-window screenlet dock that holds your running programs, thus allowing you to delete the lower taskbar. These can make a desktop look modern and sleek.
That type of desktop display (app bar/launcher) is also the default in the xfce desktop manager
http://www.xfce.org/about/screenshots
Last edited by DrHu on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozi3333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozi3333 »

The dock at the bottom is called the Avant Window Navigator.

You can search it up on MintInstall.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Hi Till, and welcome!

I think you are looking at the Avant Window Navigator (AWN), and it is already installed in Mint 7.
It is under Menu-> Preferences -> AWN Manager.

If not, you can install it with Synaptic Package Manager, just search for AWN, or Avant.

Good luck, Richard

bharani
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bharani »

You can easily install it (Avant Window Navigator) using Mint Install.

Other options for docks are cairo-dock and gnome-do in docky mode.You can easily install everyone of them and try them.Keep the one you like and uninstall all others.All are available in Synaptic Package Manager.

fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fwc »

Till wrote:
- Second, I have an old Creative NX Ultra webcam. Is it supported in Mint 7? I only need it for video through instant messaging (something like Windows Messenger). If there is a way to make it work, what instant messenger should I use? I tried Kopete, but I can't get the camera to work. and if i can't get it to work, do you know of any other webcam compatible (so that I can plug it in and do the job)?

- Fourth. I have a Canon Pixma ip1600 printer, a Canon Ixus 80 IS digital camera, and a Trancend T.Sonic 850 mp3 player. I haven't had time to try them out yet, but I guess I wont have any problems with them. If you know of any trouble about those devides, please inform.

- Fifth and last. I have a Logitech G11 keyboard, and it has a volume controller on it. Is there a way to make it work on Mint 7?
The webcam is a tough one. I have a friend who has tried to get his cam working in various Linux IM software with little or no luck. The only real option I can think of is to download VirtualBox (Sun Edition for some extra features like USB compatibility) with Windows XP (and whatever Windows IM you need) and play with the settings. Otherwise you can try Wine to get some Windows IM clients working but I wouldn't expect much.

For the printer and digital camera, it shouldn't be a problem like you said but there may be some of the more advanced features missing on the printer (drivers can come up short). The MP3 player is a less sure factor and may or may not work. You always have VirtualBox to resort to for some of these issues which is very useful and you can go the step further and buy VMWare which is better developed. VMWare is the non-free virtual machine.

I don't know anything about special keyboards.

Till
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Till »

OK, so far here's how things are:

1. Avant Window Navigator is up and running. I only wish there was an option to move it in the top side of the desktop...
2. Digital camera is working OK.
3. The MP3 player is working OK.
4. The printer refuses to work, there is no available driver for IP 1600.
5. The webcam also refuses to work...

bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bennachie »

The printer can probably be made to work quite easily - see:

http://www.openprinting.org/show_printe ... XMA_iP1600

I had no problem getting an IP1800 to work.

LitBolt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LitBolt »

The volume on my G17 works perfectly in Mint 7, to answer that question.

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kei84 »

1. If you wanna a dock in the top side of your screen, you can use the panel itself as dock. That's what I do.
First remove everything from the panel. Leave it empty.
Them just right click on panel Properties< tab General<Size 55 (see which size is best for your screen) and UNcheck expand. In the tab Background, choose "solid color" and put the level in transparent.

2. Webcam is problematic. I have a Logicool Qcam Pro and works fine in Kopete and Skype.

5. To use the volume control in your keyboard, you can problably set then by going to Preferences<Keyboard shortcuts

Till
Level 1
Level 1

Re:

Post by Till »

kei84 wrote: 5. To use the volume control in your keyboard, you can problably set then by going to Preferences<Keyboard shortcuts
Well, the Volume Controller of the G11 is set ok under Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts, and when I turn the knob left-right I see the indicator on my desctop showing that the volumes goes up/down. Its just that the actual volume does not respond to this...

pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pluraldave »

Right click the speaker icon on the panel and check the right channel is selected in preferences.

Also Cairo-dock can be configured to sit at the top of the screen.

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kei84 »

Just like pluraldave said. Right click on the volume icon and go to preferences. Select master.

AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Post by AK Dave »

Till wrote:- First of all, I noticed on many Linux distributions a nice short bar on the bottom center of the screen (not the bar where the menu is), with various shortcuts on it. What is the name of this thing, and where can I get it? I would like to have it on my desktop, although I would preffer to have it on the upper side of the screen... And I guess it is customizable, right?
Contrary to some misunderstandings, this is not a PANEL. This is a DOCK.

Three popular docks for linux:
AWN
Cairo
Gnome-Do
- Third. I recently bought a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic cell phone. Is there any way to synchronize my phone Calendar/Contacts with Thunderbird (or any other Calendar/ Contacts application)?
bitpim
funambol
Will most likely work right without any special configuration in Mint. If not, ask for specific help after installing. Same answer for printer, camera, etc.

opticyclic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by opticyclic »

Till
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Till »

pluraldave wrote:Right click the speaker icon on the panel and check the right channel is selected in preferences.
Im right clicking the speaker icon, I select preferances. I select the right device for Playback, and Master is also selected. Still, when I am turning the knob I see the visual indication on my desktop, but the volume does not change...

Return to “Newbie Questions”