Access to Font Directory

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ubiquity
Level 1
Level 1

Access to Font Directory

Post by ubiquity »

I am setting up Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon on 5 PC's with two users: a root user with password and a second user with no password.
These machines will be used in a face to face training environment for software training.
After installing FreeCAD as one of the software items for training I have the following problem :

In order to use a font in a shapefile FreeCAD asks for the direct path to a chosen font (eg. ~/local/share/fonts).
On the non-root user I am unable to specify the path to the font directory as this user appears only to have direct access to the user home directory and subdirectories.
Is there some way I can specify the path to the font directory used by all users (eg where LibreOffice accesses fonts transparently for any user)?
If possible I should like to access the fonts already installed rather than duplicating fonts for the non-root user.
I am sorry if this question is considered too complicated for this forum.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Access to Font Directory

Post by Pjotr »

Copy the font also into his own home directory, i.e. to ~/.local/share/fonts

That should do the trick. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ubiquity
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ubiquity »

Thanks, in the absence of a more universal solution, I will do that.
I was hoping to allow users to choose any existing font without having to duplicate them but given this will be a training user a single duplicated font is better than none. I believe the purpose of accessing the font directly is that the shapefile (shapestring) uses the font's internal geometry to create an editable path from the string,
Sundowner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sundowner »

If these computers are going to be setup for training purposes, would it not be reasonable to copy the whole system font folder to ~/.local/share/fonts, providing space is not limited? (246.7 MB in my Cinnamon install)

Just curious. :)
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

EDIT: ooops symlinking usr/share/fonts will cause chrome to error so i delete post
Last edited by trytip on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

ubiquity wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:53 am
On the non-root user I am unable to specify the path to the font directory as this user appears only to have direct access to the user home directory and subdirectories.
Don't you only need read access? Every user has read access to the system fonts for obvious reasons. /usr/share/fonts.

Return to “Newbie Questions”