Simple way to connect a laptop to a desktop, via network cable

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Simple way to connect a laptop to a desktop, via network cable

Post by alquimista »

Hi.

I want to transfer lot of files from a laptop using windows 10, to a desktop on mint 18. What is the easiest way to do it using network cable? Will mint will recognize the laptop in windows, and will be able to read files there? I'm not very techy
wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Simple way to connect a laptop to a desktop, via network cable

Post by wallyUSA »

Have you considered a simple method of using removable media?

You could also go thru the clouds.
Ulyana 20 Cinnamon 4.6.7 Kernel 5.4.0-48 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

I think you'll need what's called a crossover cable.

Some explanation can be found here:

https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Com ... rnet-Cable
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Crossover cable is history. For many years now all ethernet chips can auto-sense the wire type and connect seamlessly.
You need to share your folder in Windows and then use SAMBA client to connect.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

AscLinux wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:57 am
Crossover cable is history. For many years now all ethernet chips can auto-sense the wire type and connect seamlessly.
You need to share your folder in Windows and then use SAMBA client to connect.
I agree on both points. I have a box full of crossover cables I have not used in years.

Ethernet cable plus SAMBA will do it. You will probably need to configure IP addresses manually but other than that it should be pretty easy. For a one-time thing it should work. OTOH any old router/switch will do DHCP and will be useful in other ways. Old routers/switches are pretty much free these days.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Regarding network. If none of these machines is connected to a router then you need to look up what is the IP address Windows has and assign an IP address to your Linux machine manually, make sure it is in the same subnet.
Then use SAMBA or any other method you like. For instance, you could fire up an FTP server in Linux and use an FTP client in Windows to copy your files.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

HI alquimista,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Depending upon how many files and their sizes, using a free or paid for cloud provider and their sync client would work very well and you would have backups too. Obviously, transferring gigabytes of data will take some time.

Using DVD/Blu-Ray discs is also a good idea because then you have permanent backups as well.

You can also use one of the file "transfer" applications which also work very well without using cables or setting up network file sharing using Samba or NAS, etc... like "Feem", "Dukto", "NitroShare", etc... as long as the computers are on the same local area network (home or business network) it should be fairly fast.

See this post for installing "feem".
- Get iphone 7 Plus Photos Into Cinnamon 18.1 [SOLVED] - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=239521&hilit=feem

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

most people have no clue what it means to samba or folder share, they just want some simple instruction on how to do it.
i won't go into samba and folder share tutorial but what i do is install Nitroshare which is available for windows/mac/linux
have nitroshare running on the laptop and the desktop and you can send files with your wifi or ethernet. this is the simplest and quickest way to share files. if you always want access to both your laptop and desktop then samba and folder sharing is the way to go.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Depending upon how big the entire file list is. It might just be simpler, and, often quicker. Just to copy the files to an external drive and then plug it into the other machine.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Using an ethernet cable is likely going to be the fastest way of transferring files. Trytip's suggestion "NitroShare" looks a good one; I haven't installed it myself (yet) as I use scp & sshfs etc. for this sort of thing but it should do the job.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Return to “Newbie Questions”