Linux & Samsung SSDT5 external backup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whazzupdoc

Re: Linux & Samsung SSDT5 external backup

Post by whazzupdoc »

Hi PHD21...thanks for the careful reply (tell & show)! That is a great help to me.

Does the Synaptic Package Manager work with Mint Cinnamon 18.3? I'll do what I can to discover this tomorrow and see what progress I can make. With the SSD being so new it shouldn't hurt to try installing ExFat utility systems...huh?
Doc
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI whazzupdoc,

You are welcome...

All Linux Mint systems have the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and the Software Manager. It will not hurt anything to install the exFat packages and in your case it may help. The "exFat" packages are only used when accessing drives with the exFat filesystems.

Last edited by phd21 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Hi...I now understand the difference between FAT32 and exFAT. ExFat is just MS's way of allowing larger file sizes. To me though the FAT system(s) are proprietary MS software. That bothers me because this Toshiba (my notebook I/m talking about) OS is only Linux Mint 18. Win is not on it. So it looks like the T5 was setup from factory for MS Windows. Am I wrong?

Also, I've now spent a lot of time trying to locate File Manager and I'm stumped. Steps C-B-C how do I find the file manager? I want to be able to look at the format I saw once before so I can change ext4 to ext2 and even setup other sectors if I want (drives?).

Sorry...not one of my better days!
Doc
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

In Linux Mint Cinnamon version, the "windows key" E combo brings it up just like in Windows

in most version, Menu and in the search box, type 'file' and it should appear
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi whazzupdoc,
whazzupdoc wrote:Hi...I now understand the difference between FAT32 and exFAT. ExFat is just MS's way of allowing larger file sizes. To me though the FAT system(s) are proprietary MS software. That bothers me because this Toshiba (my notebook I/m talking about) OS is only Linux Mint 18. Win is not on it. So it looks like the T5 was setup from factory for MS Windows. Am I wrong?
The drive was not setup specifically for MS Windows even though it is using a proprietary MS file system "exFat" which most operating systems can recognize and use including Linux, Mac, of course, MS Windows. Most external drives use the MS "NTFS" file system which also allows for larger volumes and larger file sizes.
whazzupdoc wrote:Also, I've now spent a lot of time trying to locate File Manager and I'm stumped. Steps C-B-C how do I find the file manager? I want to be able to look at the format I saw once before so I can change ext4 to ext2 and even setup other sectors if I want (drives?).
The file manager in Linux Mint Cinnamon is called "Files" (or "nemo") in your menus and or system tray (lower left) and usually has a folder icon. A file manager's basic function is to be able to browse (explore) and manage your computer's drives and the files and folders in them (copy, move, rename, create, delete). And, most can do a lot more than that like clicking or double-clicking a file will launch any default application for that file type (click a picture or image file opens an image application, music file open a music application, video file a video application, etc...). Each version of Linux Mint has a good default file manager installed with different file manager names, but you can install and use other file managers as well.

Although I would not normally recommend changing the existing USB external drive's file system, I do not know that other devices that you may want to connect the drive with will be able to natively read the "exFat" filesystem. Of course, you can easily test that. If you put multi-media files like videos (movies), pictures, music, etc... on the external drive like most people will do and you want to directly connect the drive to a USB port on a smartTV or smart Blu-Ray player, TV box or TV stick, smartphones, tablets, smart multimedia router, etc... it may not be able read the "exFat" file system and most will not read the Linux "ext4" filesystems either. All of them can read "NTFS" (larger drives) and "fat32" (smaller drives). If you find that any of your devices will not read the "exFat" files system, then you can re-format the drive for "NTFS".

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Hi phd21...and you are always an excellent and clear read! I carefully followed what you posted and actually understood what you said! My purpose (at least at this juncture in my learning) is to simply backup everything regularly and then learn what to do if and when I need to restore. That time is coming. As soon as I get my internal SSD, I'll want to be able to replace the original HDD and get maybe Mint 19 installed and then everything I've setup and used restored. Pretty plain-Jane but at my age, I'm just trying to get enough understanding and actual experience that I can literally do away with Windows prior to their ditich date.

Thanks!
Doc
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Hi AZ...the Windows Key +E did bring up 'Files'. What I was trying to reproduce was the page view pretty much showing everything I can see on GParted +++ where I can go that I can right-click on a column and change things, like ext4 to ext2. My ignorance is such huge handicap. I have purchased the Official User Guide and am digging in to it. Thanks always for your input...I love the dog pic by the way!!!
Doc
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi whazzupdoc,

You are welcome...

Well, you should be able to access the new USB external drive no problems now, can you? Have you made an Aptik backup yet? I recommended before that you create a new folder on the backup drive using your file manager for your Aptik backups and tell Aptik to use that folder otherwise it will place all of its backup information in the root folder of the drive. I just called mine "Aptik".

I totally agree with replacing internal older mechanical platter hard drives with newer SSDrives for your main drive; it's one of the best performance enhancements anyone can make to their system.

FYI: Linux file systems (ext4, ext2, etc...) require "permissions" be set for you to access them. So, if you change the backup drive's file system to a Linux filesystem like "ext4", then you will have to set user "permissions" in order to copy files or folders to them, create new folders, delete anything, etc... and as I mentioned, you also loose compatibility with other computers and devices.
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Good a.m., phd21,

The T5 shows up on my desktop as Samsung_T5.

Also I have a desktop icon called Aptik GTK. Clicking on it and entering the Backup page, I'm given button options in the UI Mode and I chose the 'Expert' radial. Then I chose Files...Add Folders wanting to create the 'Aptik' folder. I'm told it could not be created...permission denied. I've had this message come up before. What is necessary for permissions in Linux Mint? And how do I tell Aptik to use that folder?

Then re Linux file systems, how do I go about setting up permissions?
Thanks again!
Doc
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI whazzupdoc,

Good morning...

First, is the drive still using the "exFat" file system or did you change to a Linux file system, or what?

As for creating a folder on the external drive for Aptik backups, use your file manager for doing that before going into Aptik.
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Hi again!...it is using ExFat.

Probably really a bad question...but exactly how do I go about using 'File Manager' (where do I locate it) prior to entering Aptik? The how-to's seem to come very hard for me. Sorry!
Doc
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI whazzupdoc,

I will create a short video tutorial for you shortly and post a link to it in a reply.

whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Wow! That'll be really helpful.
Looking for your link!
Doc
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi whazzupdoc,

Click the link below to view my YouTube video tutorial on using Linux Mint Cinnamon File Manager and Aptik backup to USB external drive. As with all YouTube videos, you can mouse over the video to see larger screen options like "Theater" Mode or "FullScreen" mode. You can also download the video if you want and play it in a multimedia player like "Videos" or "VLC", etc...
https://youtu.be/fU2xJKy4zsc

I was a little distracted while creating this, so let me know if you understand it or if you think I should create another one.
YouTube_FullScreen_or_Theater_Mode.jpg
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Sorry phd21, I meant to get back to you. This is a great method for sharing your great experience...and you speak slowly and clear which is really helpful. I'm opening the forum on win7 and watching/listening to your video while I'm simultaneously doing it on my Toshiba. Lost my hearing in my right ear election night and it's causing me some delay in following everything carefully. I appreciate your effort for me and this end product. ai'll keep at it!

Doc
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi whazzupdoc,

You are welcome...

Let us know how you do with this and if you successfully made an Aptik backup.
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

I'll do that and then afterwards, I'll mark this solved.
Doc
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Trying to access the right file(?) to open up some type of graphic to allow me to access Aptik to tell it to go ahead and backup. I don't think I've succeeded in doing a backup with Aptik. I've got the correct radials entered for it but where do I tell it to go ahead and do it...and to where?

I seem to be able to download programs like Clonezilla Live but then what to do with it so I can actually backup...and choose whether to backup to the T5 or to a usb? I'm missing something badly in my comprehension of making downloaded software functional. I am assuming I've got all of the necessary packages downloaded. Regarding the T5, should I have also downloaded the Linux Mint O/S on it...prior to doing the exFat thing?

I'm still reviewing your video but it seems like just when I'm getting a handle on all of this...up pops another hurdle like above. Please don't give up on me!
Doc
whazzupdoc

Post by whazzupdoc »

Also, Have to say that the internal SSD 1TB has arrived with its' cable. Now I'm really under pressure to get this backup process down pat. I won't try to do anything til I've got everything backed up and understand how to restore from the T5 to the new internal SSD.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi whazzupdoc,

I just noticed these new replies.
whazzupdoc wrote:Trying to access the right file(?) to open up some type of graphic to allow me to access Aptik to tell it to go ahead and backup. I don't think I've succeeded in doing a backup with Aptik. I've got the correct radials entered for it but where do I tell it to go ahead and do it...and to where?
I do not understand what you mean by these comments? What does opening up some graphic have to do with "Aptik"? As I showed in my video, you just connect the new external drive, use your file manager to click that drive on the left side which will mount the drive so you can access it, then on the right side right click create new folder and call it "Aptik" or "Aptik-backps" for use with the Aptik backup application. Then close the file manger or minimize it. Bring up Aptik, and then in the upper right click "Select" button and browse to the new drive and that new "Aptik" folder, click ok. Click the next 2nd vertical tab on the left "Backup", then just click the "backup all items" button on the bottom and it should start backing up everything. When it is finished, exit Aptik, bring up the file manager, browse to the drive and that folder to see what is in it and to verify that your system was backed up.

whazzupdoc wrote:I seem to be able to download programs like Clonezilla Live but then what to do with it so I can actually backup...and choose whether to backup to the T5 or to a usb? I'm missing something badly in my comprehension of making downloaded software functional. I am assuming I've got all of the necessary packages downloaded. Regarding the T5, should I have also downloaded the Linux Mint O/S on it...prior to doing the exFat thing?
Before moving on to image backups, let's make sure you have the Apik backups working first.

Clonezilla: Although I really like and depend upon the "Clonezilla Live" application for drive and partition image backups, it can take new users a little time to understand how to use it. After you have used it once or twice it really is easy to use. I also recommend creating a folder on the USB backup drive for these type of image backups, perhaps something like "Clonezilla" or "Backup-images" (which is what I use).

You can use the Mint "USB Image Writer" from your menu to burn (write) the downloaded "Clonezilla Live" iso file to a USB stick (2gb or larger) or use a DVD/CD application like "xfburn" or "K3b" to burn the image to a blank CD/DVD disc. Then, you boot the computer to the USB stick or CD/DVD disc to run "Clonezilla Live" from that.

The link on Clonezilla Live has the download options and tutorials, but ask if you need help. There are also many tutorials on YouTube as well.

I can do i image with both linux and windows
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=274810&hilit=clonezilla

Linux Talk - Full System Backups and Moving Linux from Machine to Machine - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6TxtWGmDHg

clonezilla backup linux - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ckup+linux

"Disks": You can also use the "Disks" application to create disk and partition images and restore them. This may be the easiest to use, but I don't think it does compression like Clonezilla. It may alreeady be in your menus as "Disks", if not install "gnome-disk-utility".

Backup & Restore Hard Drive Easily with Gnome Disk Utility
https://www.maketecheasier.com/backup-h ... k-utility/

How to create disk images using GNOME Disk - TechRepublic
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ho ... nome-disk/

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”