Linux Mint 19 stuck on boot logo after a system crash

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
RENEGADERNG
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 19 stuck on boot logo after a system crash

Post by RENEGADERNG »

Hi,

A few days ago when trying to launch a game my computer (LM 19, BTRFS) froze and I had to do an ALT+sysrq+R,E,I,S,U,B. But ever since then it reboots to the LM loading screen and stays there, I even tried letting it go overnight but no boot whatsoever.

The laptop I am using is Asus Vivobook MAX (with i3 7100U and 1TB HDD): https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Max-X541UA/

I tried recovery boot with various different kernels available and it always shows the same set of error messages (pics below).

I have timeshift set up so if I could at least get as far as the login manager I could timeshift to a stable point.

Image Image

PS: this kind of situation has happened a couple of times in the last few weeks, and I usually timeshift my way out. A proper solution to the root cause will be greatly appreciated as well.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 19 stuck on boot logo after a system crash

Post by Pierre »

you may have corrupted that BTRFS partition,
particularly since you have tried the various different kernels available ..
& so can you boot from your Live media,
and grab a screen_shot of the current HDD layout?,
- post that back here, on your next reply.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
RENEGADERNG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RENEGADERNG »

Pierre wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:28 am
you may have corrupted that BTRFS partition,
particularly since you have tried the various different kernels available ..
& so can you boot from your Live media,
and grab a screen_shot of the current HDD layout?,
- post that back here, on your next reply.
Thanks for the prompt reply, Pierre.

I'm not sure what you mean by HDD layout. So, I just took a screenshot of GParted and Disk Manager. Hope that's what you needed. Thanks for your time.

PS: I just discovered that you can timeshift from live usb, so I'm gonna try that.
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

Might want to have a look here

https://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/09/22 ... s-problem/

Hope this helps
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Based on information provided, I'd:

1. Check the health of hard drive
2. Check the integrity of filesystems, attempt repair if needed
3. Make sure the OS is not running out of space
RENEGADERNG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RENEGADERNG »

Lord Boltar wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:55 am
Might want to have a look here

https://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/09/22 ... s-problem/

Hope this helps
That article looks intimidating but I'll try it as a last resort. For now a timeshift "fixed" it. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I gathered that sysrq wouldn't work during kernel panic right. But my system responded to it during the freezes.
AscLinux wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:24 am
Based on information provided, I'd:

1. Check the health of hard drive
2. Check the integrity of filesystems, attempt repair if needed
3. Make sure the OS is not running out of space
1. The system is a laptop that's less than 6 months old, so hard drive health shouldn't be an issue. The disk manager says that the drive is OK. I looked at SMART data provided and it was all OK.

2. By integrity of filesystem, do you mean the

Code: Select all

fsck
command? If so I'll getback after the actual test.

3. The OS has complete reign over a single 1TB disk, with less than 15% used, so space isn't a concern.
SMART data
SMART data
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

1. The system is a laptop that's less than 6 months old, so hard drive health shouldn't be an issue. The disk manager says that the drive is OK. I looked at SMART data provided and it was all OK.
Means nothing. SMART data becomes useful only after testing, did you run some sort of surface test? Any hard drive may die any time. Laptop drives are protected against hits, but only when the head is parked. Drop your lappy when the drive is in action and you'll get bad sectors. All that said, your drive may be OK. Can't see too well from here. ;)
RENEGADERNG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RENEGADERNG »

AscLinux wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 pm
Means nothing. SMART data becomes useful only after testing, did you run some sort of surface test? Any hard drive may die any time. Laptop drives are protected against hits, but only when the head is parked. Drop your lappy when the drive is in action and you'll get bad sectors. All that said, your drive may be OK. Can't see too well from here. ;)
Okay, can you guide me on how I do the surface tests you mentioned. This is the first time I am serious about troubleshooting linux. My goto solution used to be reinstall + restore backup (even for windows).

Also, fsck does not work in btrfs and btrfs check says cannot open filesystem. Should I do this in a live session?

As always thanks for the help.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

it may have well been a bad re-acting from an recent kernel update,
& which is why an Time-Shift restore fixed that issue.
but, you will also need to be mindful of which kernel no. it was, that caused the initial issue.

the only other issue, is a poor HardDrive layout, but that is the current Ununtu / LinuxMint install scenario.
- you can fix that up, should you ever contemplate another Linux Installation session.

you most probably should try that btrfs check as it says cannot open filesystem,
- from your Live Boot Media, anyway.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

RE: Surface test.
1. Easiest probably is to run long smartctl test.

smartctl -t long /dev/sda
2. Also dd can be used to read every sector, failures will be registered by SMART.

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=1M
3. Use badblocks application.
4. There are more ways to skin this cat ...

Return to “Newbie Questions”