The board will go down for necessary maintenance at 12:00 PM UTC (see current UTC time). We expect to be back 1 hour later at 1:00 PM UTC. Apologies for any inconvenience.

[Solved] Resize Partition sda1 - For Dual Boot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chrisdasp
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Resize Partition sda1 - For Dual Boot

Post by chrisdasp »

Hi guys !

Being new on this forum because my OS changed only few days ago, my first post is going to be about getting some help from you.

I decided to completely swith to Linux and Mint Cinnamon was the best shot for me.

To do it properly, I formated my whole HDD, previously infected by Windows 10 :roll: , and dedicated the whole HDD for Linux Mint.

But here is the thing. I'd like to dual boot my computer, Linux Mint &... Kali. I know, everything that Kali does can be done with other OS Linux, but I have

space on my HDD and want to spend some time on Kali too, in order to learn better the both OS, and have two different environment depending what I want

to do. (already tried on VirtualBox and I don't like that, just for Windows it's okay). And always boot Kali live, well not the best, I'd like to automatically save my

progression on my HDD. And USB with persistence, let's not talk about that neither...

Usually, it is pretty simple to divide a disk and format it, but here I am stucked. Have a look on the screenshot to understand better the situation.

I already tried to boot Gparted live and Deactivate the disk to see what happened, but nothing, impossible to decrease the space on the disk in order to divide

in 2, and have a partition of 50 Go to install and use Kali.

What can I do? The Disk has still 837 Go free, more if I delete the space dedicated for VirtualBox.

Thanks in advance for some help,

chrisdasp
Attachments
Gparted.png
Last edited by chrisdasp on Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dell Latitude E7440 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4310U CPU @ 2.00GHz - SSD
Asus ROG 750JH - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - HDD
Linux Mint Cinnamon

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Resize Partition sda1 - For Dual Boot

Post by srq2625 »

A summary of the steps required:
  1. Boot from a Linux Mint LiveUSB device
  2. Start gparted
  3. Unmount your HDD - you can't resize it if it is mounted
  4. Continuing to use the gparted program, resize the partition
  5. Create a new partition
  6. Mount your resized partition
  7. Open a terminal window and run

Code: Select all

blkid
  8. Identify your partition
  9. Change your working directory to /etc on your installation partition and run the command

cat fstab
  10. Compare the UUID your installation partition, identified above, with that listed in the fstab file. If they are not the same (they should be, but things happen), edit the fstab file to make them the same.
  11. Reboot to your installation (as a test) - all should be good.
  12. Install your second OS to the new partition.

chrisdasp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisdasp »

Thank you for your answer.

But this method does not solve my issue, I already booted Linux Mint via USB live, also Gparted live, in order to not be logged in on the sda1.

When I umount /dev/sda1, it says the sd1a is not mounted. And on GParted, deactivating it or not, does not change anything.

For the system, my HDD is full (see the screenshot) but actually there is more than 800Go available. So I am not able to resize the sda1 and create a new

partition for the other OS.

Need to find an other way...
Last edited by chrisdasp on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint Cinnamon

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Your attachment shows that your disk is partitioned as lvm2 pv.

When you installed Mint, you selected "Logical Volume Management".

I don't think you'll be able to resize it normally.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

The reason you cannot resize the partition is because you opted for the LVM volume which, by default during installation, utilizes the entire physical volume.

Therefore you would first have to resize the logical volume mint--vg-root then shrink the physical volume /dev/sda1

What's confusing to me is that you don't have a boot partition. Usually /dev/sda1 is setup as the boot partition :?

It might be easier if you reinstalled Mint using manual partitioning - non-lvm.
ImageImage

chrisdasp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisdasp »

I see, if there is no way to correct this LVM thing I'll have to reinstall the OS again, selection manual partitioning, and then dual boot Kali.

But guys, if I do back-up my actual OS, all documents, softwares, etc (as to say, if I do a snapshot with TimeShift, put it on USB, and then restore it from there

after the reinstallation of the OS with manual partitioning) is there any possibility of getting issues? Since now it is LVM and after not anymore, is it something

doable, compatible?
Last edited by chrisdasp on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint Cinnamon

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

I've never used timeshift so I can't speak to that.

If you want to try reducing the volume the instructions here are very precise.

Scroll down to the Reducing Logical Volume (LVM) section

There's also a good outline here

Whatever you decide to do just make sure the stuff you can't live without is safely copied somewhere.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

WharfRat wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:13 am
What's confusing to me is that you don't have a boot partition. Usually /dev/sda1 is setup as the boot partition :?
If you take a look at OP's attachment, the /dev/sda1 is set with a boot flag.

For information purposes:

I just created an install of Mint 19 in a virtual machine. I chose "Erase disk..." and checked off LVM.

The disk has the same flags as OP's disk---boot and LVM.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

chrisdasp wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:38 am
I see, if there is no way to correct this LVM thing I'll have to reinstall the OS again, selection manual partitioning, and then dual boot Kali.

But guys, if I do back-up my actual OS, all documents, softwares, etc (as to say, if I do a snapshot with TimeShift, put it on USB, and then restore it from there after the reinstallation of the OS with manual partitioning) is there any possibility of getting issues? Since now it is LVM and after not anymore, is it something doable, compatible?
No sure. There may be settings in hidden/configuration folders that may specify that the disk is still LVM and may interfere with the newly installed Mint.
Last edited by JerryF on Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

I'm referring to the small ext2 boot partition

Filesystem                Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1                 ext2      248M  146M   90M  62% /boot
Screenshot at 2018-11-04 11-38-09.png
The OP doesn't have one
ImageImage

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

WharfRat wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:55 pm

The OP doesn't have one
By default, Mint doesn't create a /boot partition when choosing "Erase disk..." and choosing "Logical Volume Management". When I created mine, there was only one LVM partition.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

WharfRat wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:55 pm

The OP doesn't have one
By default, Mint didn't create a /boot partition when choosing "Erase disk..." and choosing "Logical Volume Management". When I created mine, there was only one LVM partition.

Do you think it has to do the MBR vs. GPT?
Last edited by JerryF on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

I can't explain why a boot partition wasn't created.

The reason there's a /boot partition for grub to start in is because the LVM is activated in the initram.

It could be the GPT/MBR partitioning. Both of my LVM setups are MBR.
ImageImage

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

I did another installation with "Encrypt the new installation..." (which automatically selects LVM) and by default, Mint DID create a /boot partition.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

JerryF wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 pm
I did another installation with "Encrypt the new installation..." (which automatically selects LVM) and by default, Mint DID create a /boot partition.
For sure a boot partition would be needed for an encrypted setup. The HDD LUKS container is unlocked in the initram as is the LVM initialization.

Also if it were GPT partitioned wouldn't the EFI System Partition still be there :?:
ImageImage

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

WharfRat wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:26 pm
JerryF wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 pm
For sure a boot partition would be needed for an encrypted setup. The HDD LUKS container is unlocked in the initram as is the LVM initialization.

Also if it were GPT partitioned wouldn't the EFI System Partition still be there :?:
I believe you're correct. I'm sure it would be.

chrisdasp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisdasp »

Anyway thank you guys, I basically reinstalled the whole OS on my computer without LVM (which was really hard, I had the "BusyBox" problem even after 10

reinstallations... had to boot the USB on EFI but say "no" to EFI Mint's installation :| but it seems to work pretty well
)

Thank you for your answers everybody I appreciate the help !
Linux Mint Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”