Second (dual) monitor?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Second (dual) monitor?

Post by GS3 »

As my signature says I am running

Code: Select all

HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-138-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo 
I am using NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 730] video card and an Asus VK266H monitor at 1920 x 1200. That is more than enough for my present needs.

The mobo has on-board video card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller, which I am not using. This onboard video uses a Dual-Mode Displayport, which means it can output HDMI. I have the necessary cable and a spare monitor. I assume this video would use on-board RAM. Right now it is disabled.

I am considering the possibility of adding a second monitor on this channel. Not that I really need it but just for experimenting.

Questions: Is it possible? Is it recommendable? Will it be easy or messy? Any advice or opinions welcome. I have never used dual monitors and I would think getting a bigger monitor is easier than messing with two monitors but I would like to hear from those with experience.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Second (dual) monitor?

Post by AscLinux »

Some motherboards disable integrated video when an addon card is installed. Then there is nothing you can do, but install an addon card with two outputs.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

AscLinux wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:35 pm Some motherboards disable integrated video when an addon card is installed. Then there is nothing you can do, but install an addon card with two outputs.
Thanks. I had not thought of that and it seems you are right so it is not worth pursuing this project.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Well, I had a hunch that the on-board video might be disabled because there was no monitor connected so I connected a monitor and, sure enough, now both the NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 730] video card and the on-board video are both working simultaneously... sort of.

I go to Preferences - Display and it detects both monitors but the second monitor, on the on-board video, only displays five green horizontal dots (of Linux Mint?).

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -C video: 
  *-display               
       description: Display controller
       product: Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 09
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:28 memory:f7400000-f77fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:f000(size=64)
  *-display
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: GF108 [GeForce GT 730]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
       resources: irq:26 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-e7ffffff memory:e8000000-e9ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff
How can I make something appear in the other monitor?
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Well, what do you know... it is now showing the Linux Mint wall paper and if I slide a window off the right side of the main monitor it appears on the other monitor.

I'll have to play some more with this.

How can I know if and how much main RAM the on-board video is using?

Return to “Beginner Questions”