NVIDIA X Server Settings changes not persistent after reboot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dauud
Level 1
Level 1

NVIDIA X Server Settings changes not persistent after reboot

Post by dauud »

Hello! I have recently installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon coming from Mint 17 XFCE on this same notebook and I've been experiencing an annoying issue. I need to make changes to Digital Vibrance and Gamma in order to make the screen look better. However, changes keep resetting to default every time the computer reboots.

Searching for people with the same issues, I have tried solutions which were suggested:

1.Saved changes to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf", which didn't help.

2.Changed settings while super user "sudo nvidia-settings" and saved to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf", also didn't work.

Is there anything else I can do? The settings I need to change, as I wrote before, are Digital Vibrance and Gamma. Is there a way I can manually add these entries to "xorg.conf"?

Cheers!

EDIT: solution!

I had to manually edit ~/.nvidia-settings-rc file and change gamma and digital vibrance levels to what i wanted.

The settings i changed looked like this in the file:

Code: Select all

[DPY:LVDS-0]/RedGamma=0.675000
[DPY:LVDS-0]/GreenGamma=0.675000
[DPY:LVDS-0]/BlueGamma=0.675000
[DPY:LVDS-0]/DigitalVibrance=300
I also added this code below to ~/.xinitrc, which i had to create. I believe the same result could have been achieved by adding "nvidia-settings --load-config-only" to "Startup Application Preferences".

Code: Select all

nvidia-settings --load-config-only &
. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
Last edited by dauud on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: NVIDIA X Server Settings changes not persistent after reboot

Post by AscLinux »

I do not have any nVidia hardware right now, but settings used to go to ~/.nvidiarc.
reb1rth
Level 1
Level 1

Re: NVIDIA X Server Settings changes not persistent after reboot

Post by reb1rth »

The simple way I got this to work was to run sudo nvidia-settings, configure your displays, apply and save the xorg.conf file to etc/x11. Quit nvidia x server, open 'Display' under preferences and click apply and nothing else. The settings hold.

Return to “Newbie Questions”