drag and drop functionality

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jdave
Level 1
Level 1

drag and drop functionality

Post by jdave »

I have searched the internet and this forum looking for an answer to my question, but I found nothing on the internet and I couldn't figure out any way to search this forum that didn't give me hundreds of hits, none of them on more than one word. So I'm going to ask my first dumb question. I am a long time Windows user and a fairly knowledgeable amateur. What I don't know I can usually find out or figure out. I tried Linux years ago, but it was too complex and too lacking in functionality for me at the time. But I'm sick of Windows and I'm back.
I have Linux Mint with XFCE and I'm quite pleased with it so far. It runs great on my old Toshiba, which struggled with Windows 10. However, one thing I miss greatly from Windows is the right click drag and drop functionality that allowed you to choose whether to copy or move a file or folder. Is there any way to get this or something similar in LInux? Also, related question: I've noticed that when I drag and drop a file sometimes it copies and sometimes it moves. I haven't been able to figure out why. I do the same thing, left click and drag, but in one instance the file will copy, and in another it will move. An explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I just discovered Gnome Commander. Exactly what I was looking for. Virtually a duplicate of the original Windows Commander. Any drag and drop results in a menu pop up with the options to copy, move, create a link or cancel. The only difference is that it happens by default rather than on a right click. Very light weight too, quick to open and responsive.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: drag and drop functionality

Post by Hoser Rob »

Copy/move options when dragging and dropping are functions of the file manager and the Xfce file manager (Thunar) doesn't have this.

You could install another FM which does but when you do that they never really integrate with the desktop environment as well as the default one for the DE. I used to to this in the past but not any more for that reason. It'll also install a lot of other software usually.

But if you really must try one I'd go for the LXDE one, called pcmanfm. It does do that, it's very light, and unlike most others it won't pull in a ton of dependencies from other DEs. pcmanfm should be in software manager (though I use SYnaptic Package Manager or the terminal to install).

The only reason I can think of for copying or moving when using drag/drop is that Thunar copies when the destination is on a different drive and moves when it's going to the same drive. Been using Xfce fopr years and that's how it's always worked for me.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:15 am The only reason I can think of for copying or moving when using drag/drop is that Thunar copies when the destination is on a different drive and moves when it's going to the same drive. Been using Xfce fopr years and that's how it's always worked for me.
To add to Hoser Rob's answer, you can press Shift before releasing the mouse to change Copy to Move (changes + to an arrow on the icon.)
jdave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jdave »

Thanks for the quick replies. I think you're right MrEen. Best I can remember that was the situation. I agree with you too Hoser Rob. I've always been hesitant about changing fundamental inbuilt elements. It frequently causes more issues than it's worth. That's one reason I'm here on Linux again. I looked at the apps running on my Windows system and realized that a third of them were there to keep Windows from doing something I didn't want it to do. Or protect it from attack. I spent weeks getting Windows 10 the way I wanted it, all the spy ware and junk ware gone, then an update came in and put it all back, My machine would hardly run. So here I am.
By the way, my system is a Toshiba Satellite L355D S7609, about ten years old, AMD processor Radeon 3100 graphics, 4G of memory. With Mint on it it performs on par with my wife's much newer Satellite with an I7 seven core processor and the same memory. Yes, some things are a little more complex with Linux, but the upside of that is that I have total control of my system, not Microsoft. In Windows 10 I was running 80 or 90 percent memory usage all the time, and at least fifty percent on my processor. Right now I have four programs open, five windows open in Firefox. My processor is barely ticking over at 23 percent and memory usage is 70 percent. I'm a happy camper
I'm sure you'll hear from me again, but I'll try not to be so verbose in the future.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:15 am dragging and dropping are functions of the file manager and the Xfce file manager (Thunar) doesn't have this.
That's strange drag & drop works for me in Thunar 1.6.12 ?
Copy paste is a better option, no chance of loosing the original, just in case of something going wrong in the process.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

rickNS wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:06 pm
Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:15 am dragging and dropping are functions of the file manager and the Xfce file manager (Thunar) doesn't have this.
That's strange drag & drop works for me in Thunar 1.6.12 ?
Copy paste is a better option, no chance of loosing the original, just in case of something going wrong in the process.
Hoser Rob meant the right click drag and drop isn't an option.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

MrEen wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:49 pm
OK apologies for my confusion, but I've never seen a "right-click" option to drag, anywhere, on any system I ever used. Does not exist on Win xp, vista, or 7. Maybe it's a win 8, or 10 thing ?
I mean what's the point ? if you want to drag, you left click and do so.
one thing I miss greatly from Windows is the right click drag and drop functionality
Don't see how it can be greatly missed when so easily duplicated (with less clicks). Anyway, still confused, I'll get out of the way.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

jdave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:51 am However, one thing I miss greatly from Windows is the right click drag and drop functionality that allowed you to choose whether to copy or move a file or folder. Is there any way to get this or something similar in LInux?
that works in 18.3 Cinnamon, in most Cinnamon desktops AFIK.

the NEMO file manager is great for that, use it many times a day

YouTube https://youtu.be/ZCUace1V4tE
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jdave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jdave »

rickNS wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:40 pm
MrEen wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:49 pm
OK apologies for my confusion, but I've never seen a "right-click" option to drag, anywhere, on any system I ever used. Does not exist on Win xp, vista, or 7. Maybe it's a win 8, or 10 thing ?
I mean what's the point ? if you want to drag, you left click and do so.
one thing I miss greatly from Windows is the right click drag and drop functionality
Don't see how it can be greatly missed when so easily duplicated (with less clicks). Anyway, still confused, I'll get out of the way.
Right click drag and drop has been around since Windows 95, if my aging brain cells are still serving me well enough. As for being "greatly missed", "your data matrices become accustomed to the input of particular actions and outcomes" as Commander Data would say. If you have a windows machine try it. Highlight a file, right click and hold, drag it to the new location and release the button. A menu pops up with the choice to either copy or move or cancel. I've had every version since 3.1 came on floppies, that was the last one that didn't have it. The "shift-click" method someone mentioned is quite similar, actually quicker because you don't have to choose from the menu and does work in thunar. Problem solved, and another point scored for Linux.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Actually Windows also used to have and maybe still has the shift or was it maybe ctrl option for dragging files. But this is not known by most users. I used it but preferred the right click option as it expressed clearly what was going to happen.
jdave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jdave »

I think you're right Vansloneker. I think it was shift. But as you say I liked the positive feedback of the right click drag, move, copy, or cancel. Once I discovered that I never used anything else.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

jdave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:51 am ..... I have Linux Mint with XFCE .... is the right click drag and drop functionality that allowed you to choose whether to copy or move a file or folder. ....
Dragging folder or file with the left mouse button always moves.

Dragging with the right button always opens a "context menu " With the options:
. Copy Here
. Move here
. Create link here
. Cancel
https://i.imgur.com/wLIV1M9.png

The problem is that due to a bug the object (folder or file) that was moved continues to appear in the source location, although it is no longer there.
It is necessary, in some cases, to reload the view from the source location.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:00 am
jdave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:51 am ..... I have Linux Mint with XFCE .... is the right click drag and drop functionality that allowed you to choose whether to copy or move a file or folder. ....
Dragging folder or file with the left mouse button always moves.
Not true. Try dragging your New file to your Volume 19 GB with the left mouse button and it will almost certainly copy.
ricardogroetaers wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:00 am Dragging with the right button always opens a "context menu " With the options:
. Copy Here
. Move here
. Create link here
. Cancel
https://i.imgur.com/wLIV1M9.png

The problem is that due to a bug the object (folder or file) that was moved continues to appear in the source location, although it is no longer there.
It is necessary, in some cases, to reload the view from the source location.
Well, now it appears what the OP was asking for IS possible. I don't know what changes @ricardogroetaers has made to make that happen. When I right click a file/folder I immediately get the right click menu and can only choose from that.

EDIT: I did not see the edit in the OP before replying. I'll assume ricardogroetaers is referring to Gnome Commander.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

MrEen wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:42 pm Not true. Try dragging your New file to your Volume 19 GB with the left mouse button and it will almost certainly copy.
Yes, you're right. dragging "New file " with left mouse button from "/home/miu" to another partition "Volume 19 GB ", the copy occurs.
However dragging "new file " with left button of "/home/miu" to "/home/miu/Documentos" (same partition), the move occurs.

Conclusion: The behavior of Thunar file Manager is unpredictable.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

It's not unpredictable really. As Hoser Rob said earlier, the default action is Move when it's the same partition, Copy when changing partitions.

In my case, /home/scott/Desktop is on one partition, but /home/scott/Pictures is on a different partition (I use symlinks) and Thunar recognizes if I drag a file from one to the other that it should be a Copy in that case.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Kill the old man, kill!
There should be a standard behavior.
Last edited by ricardogroetaers on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Well if you want a standard behavior, then you shouldn't be able to drag anything with a right click on the mouse. :wink:
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Understanding the text may have been truncated due to the language and use of regional expressions. Its translation was made by software, not by human translator.
I apologize if something offensive has been consolidated or sub-understood.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

MrEen wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:02 pm As Hoser Rob said earlier, the default action is Move when it's the same partition, Copy when changing partitions.
This makes perfect sense to me, i.e. you wouldn't want to inadvertently remove the contents of your home directory when backing up to external media, for example, but would likely create a mess if this were the case by default when moving files from one directory to another on the same partition.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

The default behavior should be relative to the left mouse button independent of the source and destination partitions.
And always requesting confirmation from the user.
The left mouse button could always be "copy ".
That's my modest opinion.
I believe that if the system behaved in a standardized way it would not cause confusion.

Return to “Beginner Questions”