Possible to customise Update Mgr? [solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

Possible to customise Update Mgr? [solved]

Post by lazarus »

LM 18.3 Cinnamon x64

When Update Mgr pops open it's sub-window to DL and install pkgs, it shows 'Details' links to expand the amount of info shown.

For various reasons I always expand these windows for monitoring. This means I need to expand the window once during DLs, then again when it runs dpkg. That's an extra two mouse clicks every time I run Update Mgr and I often miss the first few lines due to the time it takes to click the link.

I know I can check the logs but why should I have to when the info was just displayed if only I could click a mouse button fast enough? Also, being inherently lazy, I would like to avoid unnecessary effort. ;)

Is it possible to configure Update Manager to always show the expanded windows by default or am I indulging in wishful thinking?
Last edited by lazarus on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Possible to customise Update Mgr?

Post by catweazel »

lazarus wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:08 am
Also, being inherently lazy, I would like to avoid unnecessary effort. ;)
It's open source. Pull the source code and modify it to your heart's content.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:44 am
lazarus wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:08 am
Also, being inherently lazy, I would like to avoid unnecessary effort. ;)
It's open source. Pull the source code and modify it to your heart's content.
You don't even need to pull it since it's just python scripts. But us being lazy, too, that's all we'll tell you. :P
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Counterintuitive, but you can open Synaptic, go to Preferences > General and tick the box to Apply changes in a terminal window.

Update Manager will then pop open a terminal window for the installation without any further interaction (but not the downloading packages)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:10 am
Counterintuitive,
I know, right? Like you can check "Hide Update Manager after applying updates" in the Update Manager preferences, but you actually need to change the option in Synaptic for it to work because Update Manager won't do it for you. Questionable design choices have been made. :P
lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lazarus »

gm10 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:03 am
You don't even need to pull it since it's just python scripts. But us being lazy, too, that's all we'll tell you. :P
:) Touché

What a lovely way to kill some time... wading through .py's. :roll: I haven't come any closer to working it out, but at least I know where to look now; I hadn't realised that mintupdate & mintinstall were just front-end scripts.
smurphos wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:10 am
Counterintuitive, but you can open Synaptic, go to Preferences > General and tick the box to Apply changes in a terminal window.

Update Manager will then pop open a terminal window for the installation without any further interaction (but not the downloading packages)
What's a learning curve without a few doglegs to make things interesting? I've applied that change and will see what happens next update; hopefully it'll do the trick and I can put dissecting the above-mentioned scripts on the back-burner for a while. (My plate's already pretty full with coming to grips with the differences between KDE and GTK. [sigh])
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

Return to “Newbie Questions”