Having Problems Creating Windows Network Share in Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TrogdorMenoo
Level 1
Level 1

Having Problems Creating Windows Network Share in Mint

Post by TrogdorMenoo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:24 pm

I can't see the Mint computer under "Network" in Windows explorer. Normally in Windows, you can click into Network and it will discover all computers with shares. My computer "linuxcpu" does not appear in the list of computers.

I can begin to connect by going to the path "\\linuxcpu\testshare" but I cannot authenticate into the network share. Windows is prompting me for a username and password. I've tried putting in my linux username "docbrown" with the linux password but I get rejected.

If I do "net usershare info --long", I get the following:

Code: Select all

docbrown@linuxcpu:/usr/local/src$ net usershare info --long
[testshare]
path=/media/docbrown/testsharedir
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=n
(By the way, should the access control list be set to "everyone"?)

What could be causing this?

TrogdorMenoo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Having Problems Creating Windows Network Share in Mint

Post by TrogdorMenoo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Also, in the example from the aforementioned website, they show their Linux Machine "LM" showing up in Mint's 'Network' area of the file browser along with "Windows Network".

(from their example: https://i2.wp.com/www.technig.com/wp-co ... echnig.jpg)

On my end, when I click on "Network" in Mint, I see my own Linux computer's name "LinuxCPU" and "Windows Network". I do not see any of my other computers either under Network or Network --> Windows Network. I cannot browse to any of my Windows 7/Win10 computers.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:13 pm

I can begin to connect by going to the path "\\linuxcpu\testshare" but I cannot authenticate into the network share. Windows is prompting me for a username and password. I've tried putting in my linux username "docbrown" with the linux password but I get rejected.
Linux has two passwords: The one you use locally to log into your machine and the samba password you use as a client to this machine. You create the samba password like this:

Code: Select all

sudo smbpasswd -a docbrown
Note: Because of the location of your shared folder /media/docbrown/testsharedir docbrown will be the only user who will be able to access the share.

As far as not being able to see the hosts on your network what version of Mint are you using? If it's 19 you have a dilemma if your network has Win10. See the following for an explanation: Mint 19 and Samba File Sharing Changes
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

TrogdorMenoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TrogdorMenoo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks. I didn't know that SMB and Linux itself use different users. In Windows, it appears that SAMBA permissions use Windows user accounts so that no separate user list exists.

I am using Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 3.8.9.

And for everyone else, I used this guide to set up a SAMBA share on Mint: https://unlockforus.com/samba-share-in-linux-mint-17-x/

Return to “Newbie Questions”