posting terminal display to the forum

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Foster
Level 2
Level 2

posting terminal display to the forum

Post by Foster »

I have happily used Mint gui for 2 or 3 years & have no wish to revert to Windows . However apart from using lsusb to see if a usb is connected I have no idea on the finer points of using the terminal ,especially posting the results from terminal, when asked to by members of the forum . Again I would ask for a line by line stepby step guide to this process . Maybe the answer has already been posted on here but my searches have been in vain. Due to intermittent failing & speed issues of the line provider I may not be able to reply/ post promptly

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: posting terminal display to the forum

Post by gm10 »

What's the problem? Works the same as with all other applications. Either use the mouse to select parts of the terminal contents or choose to select all of them from the terminal window's Edit menu. Then select to copy the selected text from the menu, right click menu, or via keyboard shortcut, then in the same way select to paste it into your browser window.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Foster wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:42 pm
especially posting the results from terminal, when asked to by members of the forum
1 - Hi-light the terminal text like you would any other text, in windows or linux: then
--- left-click & hold -> drag across the text you want. Like in a text editor or windows.

2 - With the text still hi-lighted, to copy it, do either:

--- rt-click -> menu -> copy
or
--- Ctrl+Shift+C (like regular Ctrl+C to copy, but hold shift also)

Note: LEAVE THE TERMINAL OPEN! If you close it, the copy buffer is emptied, unlike windows.

3 - to post it in the forum, paste it like any other text: rt-click->menu->paste, or Ctrl+V (no "Shift" needed now because it's not a terminal.

--- hilight the text as above, then click the </> symbol above the forum text box: it'll put [code]and [/code] around it so it stays formatted and uses a monospace font.

4 - Done.

It's like any other copy/paste except you hold SHIFT when in the terminal; putting the "code" tags is like selecting the text to change the font or wheatebver in a text editor.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:59 pm
Note: LEAVE THE TERMINAL OPEN! If you close it, the copy buffer is emptied, unlike windows.
Can be an issue with some applications but I'll remark that the default terminal windows with all Mint editions are GTK-based and thus do not have this issue.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

When copying text from the Terminal or pasting a command into it, note that it's CTRL+SHIFT rather than just CTRL as with regular GUI programs, e.g.:
CTRL+SHIFT+A to select all the text,
CTRL+SHIFT+C to copy and then regular CTRL+V to paste into your reply window.

It's best practice to enclose the Terminal output text in between [code] & [/code] tags, which can also be included by pressing the [</>] button at the top of the reply window.

ETA:
Seems I should have posted this earlier .. :oops: :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Select the desired text with mouse (no special copy/cut command needed), then use the mouse middle button to paste.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

AscLinux wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:24 pm
Select the desired text with mouse ... then use the mouse middle button to paste.
That is by far the easiest but not everyone has a middle button. I wish laptop & netbook makers would include them! Although I think in most cases you can assign pressing both buttons at once to middle-click, or use tapping if you have that enabled (I don't).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

gm10 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:09 pm
Flemur wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:59 pm
Can be an issue with some applications but I'll remark that the default terminal windows with all Mint editions are GTK-based and thus do not have this issue.
If I copy text from an xfce4-terminal, then close the terminal, then open leafpad, there's nothing to paste into leafpad.
If I copy text from an xfce4-terminal, then open leafpad, then close the terminal, there's nothing to paste into leafpad.
Same thing with lxterminal.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Use left click to put the cursor at the beginning of what you want to copy/paste. Hold and drag to the end of the text to highlight it. Right click, copy, the paste wherever. Not rocket science.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:08 am
If I copy text from an xfce4-terminal, then close the terminal, then open leafpad, there's nothing to paste into leafpad.
If I copy text from an xfce4-terminal, then open leafpad, then close the terminal, there's nothing to paste into leafpad.
Works fine here! (click on the image, it's animated):
copypaste.gif
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

gm10 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:48 am
Flemur wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:08 am
Works fine here!
Oh, I'm sure it does. It doesn't work for me - probably because of fluxbox...which desktop is the OP using? - so what I suggested (leaving open the program you're copying from ) is always a good idea.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:03 pm
so what I suggested (leaving open the program you're copying from ) is always a good idea.
no objections.

Personally I tend to "litter" terminal windows so much that I even got a killall shortcut defined to get rid of the lot of them. ;)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

gm10 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:23 pm
Personally I tend to "litter" terminal windows so much that I even got a killall shortcut defined to get rid of the lot of them. ;)
:mrgreen: I get comments from my mate about having lots of stuff open but it's the way I work, except I only have 6 terminal windows atm (some logged in to other machines), plus filemanager, GIMP, image viewer, calculator, character map, text editor, browser etc.. Also still logged in on TTY1. Not much really. :roll:
Foster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Foster »

Code: Select all

24th attempt . I am able to highlight the text but when i press menu ,the menu pops up or if I press paste \I get "too many arguments.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Foster wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:32 am

Code: Select all

24th attempt . I am able to highlight the text but when i press menu ,the menu pops up or if I press paste \I get "too many arguments.
You need to copy in the terminal, and paste in the browser. ;)
See that animated gif of mine above.
Foster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Foster »

test 25
Thanks a million got it at last thanks to the animation
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Glad to hear it came in useful. :)

Don't forget to mark your thread solved by editing the subject line of your first post.
Foster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Foster »

Just trying to do that very thing but not having much success (as usual)
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

It's the edit button with the little pencil that can be found on each of your posts. Looks like this:
editbutton.png
editbutton.png (714 Bytes) Viewed 297 times

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Foster wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:11 am
Just trying to do that very thing but not having much success (as usual)
Forgive me if that "as usual" made me laugh. Have a virtual pat on the back, and don't worry about it too much. ;)

Return to “Newbie Questions”