Wine on Mint 19 Cinnamon SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fred19

Wine on Mint 19 Cinnamon SOLVED

Post by fred19 »

I am just trying Cinnamon 19 on a new laptop but I can't find Wine in the Software Manager.

It is there on my old KDE setup. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Wine Cinnamon 19

Post by Moem »

I would install PlayOnLinux and let that pull in Wine, but if that's a bad idea, I'm sure someone here will be able to point you to a better way.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

fred19 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:54 am I am just trying Cinnamon 19 on a new laptop but I can't find Wine in the Software Manager.
Among the many shortcomings of Software Manager is a problematic search function. To install Wine, search for wine-stable or wine-development. If you went with Moem's suggestion it would install the latter.
fred19

Post by fred19 »

Thanks for the replies, I have tried both solutions but still haven't got anywhere. I couldn't really get my head round PlayOnLinux so I downloaded Wine and Winetricks but I can't get that in work.

In my old KDE setup If I right click on an .exe program there is an option to open with Wine Windows Program Loader, dead easy. Is that only in KDE?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Sounds like you skipped a couple steps. If yours is a 64 bit machine, you need to run sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386. In any event, you need to run winecfg before Wine will let you install any Windows apps. These aren't new, by the way, but it's been a while since you did this last time.
fred19

Post by fred19 »

Thanks for all your help but I have given up on this one and wiped Cinnamon and loaded the last version of KDE.

I have a standalone .exe program and a 32bit version of Picasa both of which I need and I tried all way to get them to run. I found a tutorial on Play with Linux it kept saying "Wine has crashed, and Picasa eventually installed but won't work. Running "sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386" didn't do anything

With KDE I installed the 32bit files and Picasa installed direct from the .deb file. Wine was in the Software Manager and my .exe program ran with a right click on "open with Wine Windows Program Loader"

In actual fact I still prefer KDE and it is nice to get Recent Applications and full height sub menus in the Start menu back.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you need to start with a 32bit .wine folder if your application is 32bit (if you have a .wine folder you can rename it and run this command to test a 32bit version of wine)

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Wine on Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by karlchen »

Why is everybody telling that installing Wine on a 64-bit Mint 19 Cinnamon or no Cinnamon were so damned complicated?
Why then the simple way, explained here, Installing Wine in Mint 19, works for me on 64-bit?
karlchen wrote:Only today, I set up a new Mate system and installed Wine 3.0 from the official Ubuntu software repositories on it.
The only package which I actively selected in Synaptic Package Manager for installation was: wine-stable (3.0-1ubuntu1)
wine-stable (3.0-1ubuntu1) pulled in a sheer endless list of dependent software packages.
Nonetheless the installation went smoothly, without any problems; and Wine 3.0 works as expected.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
fred19

Re: Wine on Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by fred19 »

Wow, I don't believe it, finally get there. Although I have gone back to Kde it bugged me that I couldn't run Picasa on Cinnamon and one day I might have to move over to it. Picasa is far and away the best program for viewing and sorting images and I would hate to lose it.

I decided to give up on the .deb file and try the .exe.

Did a new install of Cinnamon them ran,
sudo apt-get install wine-stable
then,
sudo apt-get install wine32
then right clicked on the Downloads folder, where the .exe folder was located, and run in Terminal
then
wine picasa.exe

And it installed and worked. In the end very simple and I am a happy bunny. Even managed to get my standalone .exe file to run with "wine file name.exe
fred19

Re: Wine on Mint 19 Cinnamon SOLVED

Post by fred19 »

Just a further heads up. when I installed Wine and Wine32 there wasn't an icon anywhere in the Start menu. After installing Picasa with the terminal Wine appeared in the Start menu and Picasa in the sub menu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”