Changing where Software Manager installs files?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ted3658
Level 1
Level 1

Changing where Software Manager installs files?

Post by Ted3658 »

I just got my first linux computer, and I have a 256gb SSD that I want to be my boot drive, and a 4tb HDD that I want to have all my data and applications on.

From what I can see when I download some new app in Software Manager it automatically sticks it on my SSD. That drive is already down to 92gb and I haven't installed much of anything yet. Heck it looks like Steam got installed on my SSD, and once I start downloading games I figure the 92gb is going to go away quickly.

Is there a way to force the Software Manager to install new apps to my HDD? Note I'm still drying to figure out how to mount a new Data folder on that HDD, but that's a different thread. Assume for now I have a Data folder that is on the HDD that I want to point these apps to. Or what the heck, while I'm at it lets assume I create a new Apps folder on the 4tb drive and want to point Software Manager at that. Can I do that?

Thanks in advance.
Ted
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Changing where Software Manager installs files?

Post by Flemur »

Ted3658 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:47 pm
That drive is already down to 92gb and I haven't installed much of anything yet.
A full linux install is usually 10 to 20 G, not 160. My Mint 18.3 uses < 6 Gig.

What else do you have on the disk?
What do these commands return?

Code: Select all

df
lsblk
Is there a way to force the Software Manager to install new apps to my HDD?
You could make parts of the OS be links to the HDD, but there's something else going on here.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lazarus »

Yeah, the OS itself really doesn't take up that much space. You're quite correct that Steam will quickly chew up what space is left.

But, existing conditions aside, I suspect that the simplest solution for you would be to mount the 4TB hdd as /home. Then, rebooting from LiveUSB, move the existing /home content over to it.

*If* the "space wasting" files are in Steam or other user owned apps, this'll recover most of the SSD space.

FWIW, most apps are stored in your /home directory (being user owned) and it's only the system-specific stuff or apps shared by all users that are saved in other dirs. (Steam downloads got to /home/<user>/.steam/)
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

lazarus wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:13 pm
Yeah, the OS itself really doesn't take up that much space. You're quite correct that Steam will quickly chew up what space is left.
That makes sense, I hadn't noticed that he installed steam, just that "I haven't installed much of anything yet".

Solution: copy the steam files to the HDD, then make a link from the SSD to it. I do that with firefox/mozilla and wine; It's a lot easier and safer than moving /home, but I have no idea where steam gets installed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 pm
but I have no idea where steam gets installed.

Code: Select all

~/.steam
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Just to clarify most applications are installed in the root file system. User specific configs are in the users home, aswell as the big update that the steam pulls in on first run. Steam games downloads are also stored in home. The OP probably does want them on the SSD - what's the point of having a fast drive if you put files that benefit from being on a fast drive on a slow one.

BTW ~/.steam mainly contains symlinks to ~/.local/share/Steam. I've only got one Steam game installed currently but it's also got its own chunky folder in ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/ and a config folder ~/.local/share

92G does seem really quite excessive - I think it's worth the OP checking with the Disk Usage application what is actually taking up all that space. It might be a run-away log file being spammed with messages because of some other issue, or he's decided to keep 20 daily Timeshift snapshots - who knows.

Re the HDD one option is to mount it as home home, but again the OP will lose some of the responsiveness advantage you get from running an SSD.

The approach I would take is to have it on a permanent mountpoint via fstab and then symlink Documents, Videos, Music, Pictures etc folders to equivalent folders on the mounted HDD. Also use the HDD for timeshift snapshots. Maybe move some steam games folders to the HDD. The Steam interface allows you to specify alternative library folders.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Newbie Questions”