Thunderbird won't open [SOLVED sort of]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Thunderbird won't open [SOLVED sort of]

Post by chazb »

LM 17 Quana, Cinnamon.
Thunderbird mail won't open, I right click it, the little round thinging gose round and round and nothing happens. Can anybody give me some ideas, how to fix this?
Last edited by chazb on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Thunderbird won't open

Post by AscLinux »

Can anybody give me some ideas, how to fix this?
Generally, you look at the error message and act accordingly. In case you don't understand the error post it here.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

AscLinux wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:27 am
Can anybody give me some ideas, how to fix this?
Generally, you look at the error message and act accordingly. In case you don't understand the error post it here.
I see point, but I am not well versed in the command line, tho I am certain the solution to my problem is there, perhaps you could assist me. Two attempts,,,,,,,

Code: Select all

charles@charles-Inspiron-1526 ~ $ open thinderbird-mail
Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console
charles@charles-Inspiron-1526 ~ $ gnome-open thunderbird-mail
Error showing url: Error when getting information for file '/home/charles/thunderbird-mail': No such file or directory
charles@charles-Inspiron-1526 ~ $ 
Last edited by chazb on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

what happens if you try to open in Terminal?

nohup thunderbird
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Probably, with thunderbird not running, rm ~/.thunderbird/*.default/.parentlock.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

Spearmint2 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:10 pm what happens if you try to open in Terminal?

nohup thunderbird

harles@charles-Inspiron-1526 ~ $ nohup thunderbird
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to ‘nohup.out’
The icon is on the desktop. I think what I have done in an attempt to manually create a usb stick backup of my Home Dir., is some how disconnected the Icon from the program or deleted the program. Thunderbird is a huge file, and knowing me and my slow old hardware, don't have the patience to to transfer that huge file to a usb stick.
So is there a way to use the command line to see if the program is still on my computer? And if so, reconnect it to the Icon? Otherwise I guess I will have to reinstall thunderbird and thus lose my archives.

Just now did this,,,,,,

charles@charles-Inspiron-1526 ~ $ ls Home
ls: cannot access Home: No such file or directory
I can open the Home in the GUI and Thunderbird is there.
Last edited by chazb on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

rene wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:29 pm Probably, with thunderbird not running, rm ~/.thunderbird/*.default/.parentlock.

charles@charles-Inspiron-1526 ~ $ rm ~/.thunderbird/*.default/.parentlock.
rm: cannot remove ‘/home/charles/.thunderbird/*.default/.parentlock.’: No such file or directory
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

chazb wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:00 pm

charles@charles-Inspiron-1526 ~ $ rm ~/.thunderbird/*.default/.parentlock.
rm: cannot remove ‘/home/charles/.thunderbird/*.default/.parentlock.’: No such file or directory
Please retry without that final period, the one at the end of the line.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

rene wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:12 pm
Please retry without that final period, the one at the end of the line.

charles@charles-Inspiron-1526 ~ $  rm ~/.thunderbird/*.default/.parentlock
rm: cannot remove ‘/home/charles/.thunderbird/*.default/.parentlock’: No such file or directory
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

bash not even expanding ~/.thunderbird/*.default" seems to say you not only not have a .parentlock file, but no profile directory at all. Shall withdraw; do not understand why you'd type nohup thunderbird-mail when asked to type nohup thunderbird by Spearmint2, and the profile directory seemingly not existing at all seems to say there's more to dig around here than my current late sunday evening mood allows for; sorry.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

rene wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:30 pm bash not even expanding ~/.thunderbird/*.default" seems to say you not only not have a .parentlock file, but no profile directory at all. Shall withdraw; do not understand why you'd type nohup thunderbird-mail when asked to type nohup thunderbird by Spearmint2, and the profile directory seemingly not existing at all seems to say there's more to dig around here than my current late sunday evening mood allows for; sorry.

harles@charles-Inspiron-1526 ~ $ nohup thunderbird
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to ‘nohup.out’
That is ok, I gotta to walmart myself. The problem will eventually get solved. Not to worry, have a good Sunday evening.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

So I get the book out do the "ls" command, and I think I have some how made the Thunderbird file inaccessible or deleted it

So this is what I know so far,,,Thunderbird the program is in the Home Dir., Thunderbird the Icon is in the Desktop Dir. I tried moving the Icon to the home Dir. but I still won't open.

If you are a Newbe like me and you have shafted yourself i.e. somehow lost control of an important file like Thunderbird and you know, there is a solution somewhere using the command line, but you just don't have patience or time (months, years learning the terminal) then delete Thunderbird, and re-install it. Now the ine thing I did learn is "apt-get install" is much faster. So if you want any old program try apt-get first and if doesn't work use the GUI.
plAsirius

Re: Thunderbird won't open [SOLVED sort of]

Post by plAsirius »

Had Thunderbird freezing at startup, used the above recommended command in terminal:

nohup thunderbird
It then started OK
Closed it
Started Thunderbird again from the menu, back to normal !

Thx for the tip.

Return to “Beginner Questions”