Release date LM 19 KDE flavor & KDE on top of Cinnamon [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Release date LM 19 KDE flavor & KDE on top of Cinnamon [SOLVED]

Post by 52ROSt »

I can't find any information on the release date of LM 19 KDE flavor.

Will there be a KDE flavor release and when?

Thanks for your information already in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Release date LM 19 KDE flavor

Post by Moem »

No, there will not be one. Sorry to disappoint!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

Thanks for the quick reply. Then I will go with the Cinnamon flavor.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You can install KDE over an install of another desktop version. XFCE is best, I am told, because it is apparently the easiest to remove after you have installed KDE. (Best to only have one desktop environment installed.) Seems like somebody was going to post instructions for installing KDE, and maybe they did. I wouldn't have seen it because I haven't been on the forums much recently. Look around, maybe you'll find it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

@jimallyn

Thanks for the information.

I have already cinnamon installed. Now I see things where I prefer the KDE flavor. Some things (Dolphin, Kontacts, etc.) I can install in Cinnamon.

Now I need to see a bit more of Cinnamon and find explanation on how to install KDE on top of something else.

Maybe I have even do the installation all over again to have Xfce installed first.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Release date LM 19 KDE flavor & KDE on top of Cinnamon [SOLVED]

Post by 52ROSt »

Cinnamon to me looks good and appears to be a nice and the right desktop environment (DE) for LM beginners. At least I will recommend it like this.

However, as I used LM KDE since a few years and appreciate a lot the flexibility and functionality of panels and desktops, this DE suits my way of working much better than Cinnamon.

I searched for a way to add KDE on top of Cinnamon and found:
This worked for me very well. If I am not mistaken, only the step selecting the desktop environment and the login after installing KDE was the other way round. As for the rest, I just followed the guideline as it was given.

Notes:
I had already IBUS & Mosc for Japanese writing installed. It worked in Cinnamon but did not work in KDE. However, I could quickly install IBUS-anthy and this works fine. I was not successful in installing IBUS-anthy in Cinnamon.
Libre Office 6.0 is default but I installed in parallel v 6.1.3 and this worked after KDE installation the same way a before. I typically keep the default installation as a back-up.

I my next installation on my current LM 17.3 KDE PC, I consider to install the Xfce version first (lightest version available) and then add KDE.

Having had the chance to compare Cinnamon with KDE, I have to say I hope very much that a KDE release will become available again. The flexibility in customization is very much better.

@jimallyn - Thanks again for your hint with installing KDE on top of another DE. KDE suit my way of working so much better

Return to “Beginner Questions”