18.3 vs 19.0 what is recommended for non linux expert?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

18.3 vs 19.0 what is recommended for non linux expert?

Post by 52ROSt »

I am using LM 17.3, 64bit, KDE and need to upgrade and change to Cinnamon flavor.

On one side I like to install 19.0 but I am afraid of possible bugs and that I am not able to implement countermeasures. On the other side I can assume that 18.3 is pretty stable.

My knowledge on the usage of commands is that I know a few, and can apply commands when I get them here in this forum.

What would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: 18.3 vs 19.0 what is recommended for non linux expert?

Post by xenopeek »

While it's true newer versions of software can introduce new bugs (and regressions), newer versions also fix existing bugs.

Linux Mint 18.3, and its package base Ubuntu 16.04, are in maintenance mode and only get fixes for security issues and critical, show stopping, bugs that would affect large number of users.

On the other hand Linux Mint 19 will continue to get work done to improve it with 19.1, 19.2 and 19.3 and its package base, Ubuntu 18.04, will during the same period receive hardware enablement updates so your system can gain compatibility with new peripherals and devices. Linux Mint 19.1 is due around mid next month. You can continue to use Linux Mint 19 for as long as you want; you don't need to upgrade to 19.1.

In short, I'd recommend going with Linux Mint 19. It was released June this year and it's package base April. Just because more time has passed doesn't make 18.3 more stable.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

Thanks @xenopeek for your opinion.

I will follow your advice and jump to 19.0
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

In case it helps: I've recently installed Mint 19 on my mother's laptop. She is also definitely not a Linux expert. She likes Mint 19 just fine and considers it no harder to use than 18.3 in any way.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I've several computers of varying age and technology. All are happily running LM 19. Obviously this is going to remain "Supported" for longer than 18.3. but, there ius nothing really wrong with 18.3,
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

It is good to read more comments especially if they all point into the same direction.

I installed LM 19.0 Cinnamon in the meantime and struggle with the switching over between Latin character lanuages (English, Dutch, German, etc) and Japanese. This on my Thinkpad x230 with a Japanese keyboard.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The Input method settings in Cinnamon appear to install fcitx when you select Japanese. I can't make heads or tails of fcitx; it appears to do precisely nothing aside from launching a status icon. Even install fcitx-anthy which for some reason Input method didn't install for Japanese, selecting that it still does nothing that I can find.

Unless somebody has a better idea or knows how to get fcitx to do anything at all, I'd flush it. You can probably use command like apt purge fcitx* to get rid of it entirely if you had installed it through Input method.

Then install needed IBus packages with this command, as I know IBus Anthy does work:
apt install ibus ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 ibus-qt4 ibus-clutter ibus-anthy

Next open IBus Preferences from your menu. When prompted whether you want to start the daemon answer Yes and next click Ok. Under Input Method tab of IBus Preferences click Add. In the Select an input method dialog click the three vertical dots at the bottom and then search for Japanese. Click on Japanese in the search results to expand it and select Anthy and Add that. Done here, unless you want to change which keyboard shortcut is used to change input method (default is Windows + space).

You should also see (hard to see, it's using dark blue text) the IBus icon in the system tray with which input method is currently active. So open xed (text editor) for some testing and start typing. Not Japanese? Press Windows + space (or whatever keyboard shortcut you changed it to) and you should see the active input method change on the system tray icon and now typing will type Japanese. You can also clock on the system tray icon to change input method.

Finally you need to start ibus-daemon each time you login. You can automate that by adding the command ibus-daemon -d -r in Startup Applications. You may need to set a few seconds delay on it.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

@xenopeek

Thanks for your information on getting Japanese writing running.

In Cinnamon I succeed to get IBUS-mozc running; don't ask how. I tested a few text tools and it worked fine. However, the icon was VERY difficult to be seen.

As I did not like the Cinnamon DE for my of working I installed KDE on top
In KDE I got IBUS-anthy running but not IBUS-mozc. With IBUS-anthy in the KDE I also can see the icon very well.

I hope that LM introduces the KDE DE again. The plasma 5 version is great; I am working the plasma 4 version since a few years.
Last edited by 52ROSt on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

I'm using Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce 32 bits, everything worked fine.
I'm "pushing with the belly " the system update until April 2019. I intend to use 64-bit version virtue rarity of programs for 32 bits.
I observe that there are still few third-party programs for Ubuntu 18.04 (Mint 19).
I observe that here in Brazil there are many reports of problems with Mint 19.
I can't assess it because I haven't tested it yet.
I'll wait until April 2019 to decide on Mint 18.3 or 19. x.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Yes, the Japanese Character set may be worth considering as to which Version you choose. I've NO NEED or experience in that regard, but, if there are (and I guess there are) other Japanese members here, they may well be able to recommend which version has the best support for Japanese Characters.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

As the discussion came to the writing methods for double byte languages, like Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc, I created a new thread where users can post their experience and ask questions.

Return to “Beginner Questions”