(SOLVED) Changing Drive Names

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

(SOLVED) Changing Drive Names

Post by MrGrimm »

couldn't decide which thread this should go in so i figured this was a safe bet. with that said i'd like to know how to go about changing the drive names. i honestly don't see the need to have the manufacture and drive model number listed. i'd like to only see the names i gave the drives / partitions when i created them. also would like to hide the boot loader partition. thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
T_Characht3r

Re: Changing Drive Names

Post by T_Characht3r »

I do know That the partition, when mounted, will show the SN/ (#) GB Volume if the partition is not named. And I know of the 'disks' tool that you can find in the start menu. But I don't know anything else. I don't think Linux Mint assigns 'Drive Letters' To Drives, unlike windows.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

You can use gparted from a live disk to give all the partitions a label; they will then always automount to /media/username/label.

You want to hide the boot loader partition from what? I don't understand what you mean by that request.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

MrGrimm wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:15 pm'd like to only see the names i gave the drives / partitions when i created them.
It's called the "label". You can use gparted to set it in unmounted partitions.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

T_Characht3r as far as i know no linux distro assigns drive letters.

ajgreeny thanks for that. i have parted magic book key that should do the trick nicely. as for the boot partition it's what the installer created besides the data partition when i allowed it to have the entire drive. in windows it's hiden by default from my pc.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

T_Characht3r as far as i know no linux distro assigns drive letters.
This is microsoft thinking! Linux does not have drive letters, in linux everything is a folder or a file, with everything sitting under the root directory (/). The drive or partition holding the system (think windows C:) is mounted as /, if you have a separate home partition or drive it will be mounted as /home/you/. If you plug in external media such as a USB stick it will normally be mounted in /media/you/. If you have put a label on your USB stick it will normally mount as /media/you/yourlabel.

If you want to give an external drive a label you can use the disks utility (edit filesystem). You can also edit your fstab file to define where drives/partitions get mounted, for example, I've got a 2TB HDD sat in the ultrabay on my laptop, it is mounted as /media/ultrabay - this is defined in fstab.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

thanks AndyMH
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

But you can assign a letter as a label.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Hadn't thought of that one :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

vansloneker wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:20 am But you can assign a letter as a label.
AndyMH wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:06 am Hadn't thought of that one :)
me either. :lol: :lol: :lol:

going to leave the names alone since they're not as glaring since nemo is now themed, plus with the way i use nemo i rarely see the drives anyway. thanks everyone.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I can see it now, root partition C, home partition D, CD drive E, and if I had a floppy drive it would have to be A or B. Now that's what I call regressive. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”