SOLVED[DNS]:linux start page Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintage

SOLVED[DNS]:linux start page Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

Post by mintage »

https://www.linuxmint.com/start/tara/ suddenly gave me a weird error.
other https pages are working so I figure maybe there is a problem.
Firefox 63.0 msg

Code: Select all

Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to www.linuxmint.com.
Cannot communicate securely with peer
:no common encryption algorithm(s).
Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP
The page ... cannot be shown ...cause the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
Chromium V 70.0.3538.77 (OffBld) Built on Ubuntu, rnnng on LinuxMint 19 (64-bit)

This site can’t provide a secure connection www.linuxmint.com uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Unsupported protocol
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.
I didn't know where to report it so I apologize if this is out of place. Is it me, or is it the website?
Last edited by mintage on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: ?linux start page Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks for reporting it. We're looking into it. For future reference, it reaches us faster when you use the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page (which sends an email to the admin mailbox).
gm10

Post by gm10 »

It seems to be a DNS issue. Disconnect your Internet, run

systemd-resolve --flush-caches
and re-connect, should be good then, at least it was for me. Otherwise wait a while for your local DNS server to catch up.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Confirmed. Any problems with www or www dot forums is a DNS issue. Our registrar is moving us. Should resolve itself.

Return to “Beginner Questions”