changed from ubuntu mate to mint 19 SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldbloke

changed from ubuntu mate to mint 19 SOLVED

Post by oldbloke »

Hi,

Thank you for this forum.

I dumped windows about 3 months ago. I no longer have windows on my machine.
Installed ubuntu mate.
Yesterday installed MINT 19 cinnamon 64 bit (alongside ubuntu mate)

I prefer MINT.
I have photos and some documents on ubuntu mate (18.10 I think) which I want to keep.

1) How do I find my Ubuntu mate?

On start up MINT loads automatically, I cant find my ubuntu mate installation.

2) Can I transfer the documents and photos that I wish to keep to the MINT installation?

3) If 2) is possible , I would then delete ubuntu mate. How do I do that?

I am not computer competent, any help would be appreciated. (step by step instructions would be great!)

I am using an ASUS laptop K50IJ.

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: changed from ubuntu mate to mint 19

Post by richyrich »

You should be able to see the partition(s) which have MATE in Cinnamon's File Manager program (Nemo).
You may have to right-click and choose "Mount drive" or similarly worded to access them.
philotux

Post by philotux »

richyrich wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:32 am You should be able to see the partition(s) which have MATE in Cinnamon's File Manager program (Nemo).
You may have to right-click and choose "Mount drive" or similarly worded to access them.
Just left-clicking will do.
philotux

Post by philotux »

1) How do I find my Ubuntu mate?

On start up MINT loads automatically, I cant find my ubuntu mate installation.
You can access the Grub menu by holding down the Shift key at the very start of the boot-up process. Once in the menu, choose Ubuntu to boot up. If you see your Mint's graphical login screen instead of the menu, restart your computer and try again.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

oldbloke wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 am On start up MINT loads automatically, I cant find my ubuntu mate installation.
First, we need to look at the hard-disk/drive partitions to try to see what went wrong. From LM, go to Terminal and do a sudo parted -l. Or boot the Live LM media and launch the built-in GParted program, ie >Menu >Administration >GParted. Then tell us what is shown. Live GParted can also be used to delete unwanted partitions.

Normally, with the Live LM media running, you can copy & paste(by right-clicking on the file and then the storage media) any document/photo files from the internal hard-drive/disk to a storage media, eg a USB-stick, or from one partition to another, eg from the Ubuntu Mate partition to the LM partition.
oldbloke

Post by oldbloke »

Thanks for your prompt and helpful replies.

I can now see I can choose between Mate and Mint on boot up.

I am happy with this.

many thanks.
michael louwe

Re: changed from ubuntu mate to mint 19 SOLVED

Post by michael louwe »

oldbloke wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:25 pm I can now see I can choose between Mate and Mint on boot up.
You can also try sudo update-grub to get the Grub menu displayed during startup, ie no need to press the SHIFT or ESC key.

Remember, in a dual-boot system on one internal hard-drive, the last OS installed takes over bootloading and the bootloader is installed in the MBR partition at the beginning of the disk = be careful how you delete unwanted partitions. Last resort if you want to get rid of Ubuntu Mate is to reinstall LM by "Erase disk and install LM".
oldbloke

Re: changed from ubuntu mate to mint 19 SOLVED

Post by oldbloke »

Thanks Michael, have done this , and menu is displayed on start up.

I have simply copied any photos and documents I want from Ubuntu Mate to a USB stick, which I am happy with.

I am sticking with Mint for a couple of weeks and then will decide whether to get rid of Ubuntu Mate.

I dont know enough about partitions so will leave things alone.

As far as I understand it, I can reinstall Mint and choose to get rid of Mate then.

Many thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”