Applications asking for access to " default keyring"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jdave
Level 1
Level 1

Applications asking for access to " default keyring"

Post by jdave »

I have Firefox and Brave web browsers installed. Both will sometimes ask for the password to access the keyring on start up and sometimes not. Brave seems to ask every time. Firefox not every time, just sometimes. If I deny access the programs start and seem to function normally. My vpn asks also, I "presumed" it needed permission to modify network settings and have always provided the password for it. Is there a legit reason for a web browser to ask for secure access? Does my vpn really need it? Could it be a file permissions issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jglen490

Re: Applications asking for root

Post by jglen490 »

I've never run across that problem. Of course, you never want a web browser to have root access - it would be the most sure way to get pwned.

Just a question, but do you ever login to your Linux Mint as a "root" user?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Applications asking for access to " default keyring"

Post by trytip »

these apps are not asking for root password. they are asking to hold passwords in the keyring. you can allow them if you want or just cancel everytime they ask for it.

to check what you have in your keyring open Passwords and Keys > under view select any to see them all and the saved keyrings will be on the right. click the Login then click the lock to unlock it if it isn't already unlocked

here in Login you can delete everything if you want. if you have gpg keys they will be stored under GnuPG keys, i's leave these alone. this is where imported repository keys are stored or any other keys you import manually
Last edited by trytip on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

chrome and chromium both do this on new installs too. just go to password and keyring settings in menu and delete them. i know i didn't describe this word perfect, but i'm on a junky windows machine right now. should be able to figure it out from what i said though! :)

the browsers will be on the left. high light them and delete key on right.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

for chromium browsers you can edit google-chrome-stable --password-store=basic to your launchers which doesn't ask you for a password. i should mention i don't save any passwords in browsers and i remove the option of chrome asking me to save passowrds for emails or site logins. if you do save them the better option is to let browsers keep them in keyring.
Last edited by trytip on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jdave »

Thanks folks. I should have realized that "keyring" had to do with passwords, as soon as I saw your responses it came back to me. I'll do as you suggested.

Return to “Beginner Questions”