Windows Network folder is empty

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Roxxi
Level 1
Level 1

Windows Network folder is empty

Post by Roxxi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi, I am new to Linux and finally decided to ditch Microsoft and take the plunge. However, I can not get my new Linux Mint machine to work with the rest of our home LAN. We have 4 computers (all Windows10), 1 printer and 1 scanner on our local LAN, but I can't see any of them on my mint machine. A friend warned me before saying that Linux is only for geeks ... I'd like to prove him wrong. Can anybody help me to solve this problem? FYI I am running the Cinnamon 32 bit version of Linux Mint 19. BTW, the laptop where I installed the new Linux was running Windows10 before and connected fine to the rest of our home LAN.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Windows Network folder is empty

Post by altair4 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Your friend was right. Linux is just for geeks.

Anyhoo ..... you have a dilemma when it comes to Win10. Samba made some shages to how the client works - becasue of WIn10 ironically enough - that inadvertently disabled it's ability to "discover" Windows hosts using netbios.

This is explained here: Mint 19 and Samba File Sharing Changes

The dilemma you have with Win10 is if you fix the "discovery" problem you won't be able to access it - if you allowed Wind10 to disable smbv1 which it will do on it's own.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:07 pm

You might try the 64 bit version. It is much more powerful if your computer is built in the last 12 years. It could see the other computers and be able to handle the data a little easier than the 32 bit version.

lsemmens
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lsemmens » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:34 pm

The problem isn't with Linux, but with windwoes. I had all sorts of trouble sharing with W10 machines at home. They would appear, and disappear at random=, and that was when I was running a pure Windwoes setup. Fast forward to today and now I am completely Windoze free and my computers are all visible, all the time. If your windoze machines are on the same subnet, (i also use the same username and password for my home network). provided the file shares are all set correctly, they should work... until the next windoze update. For some reason M$ likes to turn off file sharing somewhere in the networking permissions (can't recall now, its months since I've had the misfortune).
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Roxxi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roxxi » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Well everybody, thanks for trying to help me out. I tried everything you guys suggested, including installing the 64-bit version and adding “client max protocol = NT1” to the smb.conf. Unfortunately nothing worked.
I’d really like to get away from Microsoft, but I just don’t have the time to tinker with the Mint installation to make it work. But altair4 confirmed that, “Linux is just for geeks”, which is actually too bad because I think Linux could be a great competitor to Microsoft and Apple. But I guess this is one of the reasons Linux will never make it out of the geek corner because mainstream computer users like me just need things to work. But when I talk to some of my friends, I get the impression that with Linux there is always something that requires above average computer skills. Thanks anyway for the replies. I guess I’ll try again some other time, but for now I’ll just go back to Windows.

marsh20
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marsh20 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:33 am

Hiya, Just a thought, would the OP be able to do what they want with a version Mint lower than 19?
Think about the "undo" before you "do".

GS3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GS3 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:16 am

Roxxi wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:34 pm
I can not get my new Linux Mint machine to work with the rest of our home LAN. We have 4 computers (all Windows10), 1 printer and 1 scanner on our local LAN, but I can't see any of them on my mint machine.
I know nothing about Win10 as I am still using WinXP but I can tell you this kind of problem is not uncommon and can usually be resolved if you know what steps to take.

Windows peer networking works by having one of the machines be the "president" of the otherwise "network of peers". All the machines online get together, hold an election, and elect what is called the "master browser" machine. When other machines want to know who is online they query the master browser who then tells them.

All this takes time so it takes time for the entire network to settle down into a stable state. If the Master Browser machine goes offline then there is usually a backup Master Browser but it also takes time to settle everything.

For this reason I prefer to leave all my machines running. Generally if I turn on a machine when I want to transfer some files in a hurry then it becomes impossible. On the other hand, if I am in no hurry, then the machines become visible immediately.

I have found that turning on the machines in the same order helps assure things go smoothly. I assume the first machine looks around, sees no one else and proclaims itself Master Browser. Then the rest come online and accept the situation.

If I have a machine that is having problems then I would generally take the following steps:

- Disable IPV6
- Configure IPV4 with a static IP address.
- Make sure the cable is connected.
- Make sure there is no firewall, antivirus, etc. in the way
- Ping the machines in both directions.

If both machines are responding to ping then i know it is a network configuration problem. Even if the machines do not see or discover each other you can put their ip address in the address bar and they will appear. In other words, if you just explore the network you are asking "Who's there?" and you might not get a response from the Master Browser but if you ask directly for the machine by IP address chances are much better you will get a response.

It took me some work and trouble at first but now I have my Linux machine working fine on my LAN.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-138-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

Roxxi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roxxi » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 pm

I finally solved the problem, but not with Linux Mint. I downloaded the iso for Tumbleweed from https://www.opensuse.org, and now it works. OpenSUSE looks beautiful and it had wizard-type dialog boxed that easily guided me through the process of adding my Windows machines and printers. But thanks again for all the help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”