[SOLVED] New window placement, possible to make LM19 remember where?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redlined

[SOLVED] New window placement, possible to make LM19 remember where?

Post by redlined »

This is a nitpick sort of annoyance for me so thought to ask. Is there a way to have LM19 (Mate and Cinnamon) remember new windows size and location?

Mint menu, preferences, windows, placement tab seems to be a logical place for such an option as I'd like it to affect every new window opened to be like it was sized and located when that specific app was last closed. (old windows OS habit:)

Firefox does this after initial load of program it adjusts itself to last location (sized: screen top to bottom, left edge aligned) and is what I'd like to see across the board for all windows! especially terminal... it remembers size (80 columns, 50 rows as set in terminal menu, edit, preferences- initial terminal size) but requires me to drag it to top right side edge aligned from top left side where it always opens, every single bleepin time. :roll:

file manager behaves the same way, remembers size but aligns to top left and I'd like it to stack with terminal on right edge for easier access since browser covers left side top to bottom.

inxi info-

Code: Select all

anyuser@OEMTUFFBOOK:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: OEMTUFFBOOK Kernel: 4.15.0-39-generic i686
           bits: 32 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 (Gtk 3.22.30) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Matsushita product: CF-51JF4ECBM v: 002 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Matsushita model: CF51-2 v: 001 serial: N/A
           BIOS: Phoenix K.K. v: V2.00L11 date: 03/17/2004
Battery    BATA: charge: 58.6 Wh 100.0% condition: 58.6/58.6 Wh (100%)
           model: Panasonic CF-VZSU29 status: Full
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) 
           arch: Dothan rev.8 cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (nx pae sse sse2) bmips: 3989 speed: 2000 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV370/M22 [Mobility Radeon X300]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x1200@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: ATI RV370
           version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller
           driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 1c00 1880 bus-ID: 00:1e.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-39-generic
Network:   Card-1: Marvell 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: sky2 v: 1.30 port: 4000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection
           driver: ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq bus-ID: 06:04.0
           IF: wlp6s4 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (81.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: HTS541080G9AT00 size: 80.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 19G used: 12G (67%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 42G used: 38G (96%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.8C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 154 Uptime: 4 min Memory: 389.7/2010.7MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 
anyuser@OEMTUFFBOOK:~$ 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: New window placement, possible to make LM19 remember where?

Post by rickNS »

Like you said some windows do remember their size, and position, some don't.

Kintpicking, Yes, but possible also yes.

Lucky for you, you are using Mate DE, do you use compiz ? because probably the easiest way is using compiz.
See here https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175553586/

There are also other ways, but I'll wager more trouble than worth, if you care to learn xdotool, then have a look here, https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... mmand-line
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI redlined

Go in the Windows settings. Here, go to Behavior. There change "position of new windows" to cursor. And all the switches are on (on their left position). Windows won't now always in the middle of your screen.

Linux Cinnamon Mint - Remember window positions and sizes - Super User
https://superuser.com/questions/1012385 ... -and-sizes

Save Window Placement Settings? : linuxmint
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comm ... _settings/

Compiz can also do this.

Hope it helps...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
redlined

Post by redlined »

rickNS wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:56 pm Like you said some windows do remember their size, and position, some don't.

Kintpicking, Yes, but possible also yes.

Lucky for you, you are using Mate DE, do you use compiz ? because probably the easiest way is using compiz.
See here https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175553586/

There are also other ways, but I'll wager more trouble than worth, if you care to learn xdotool, then have a look here, https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... mmand-line
thanks rickNS! I found, in forums search, that reality to this question (which I think is kinda strange for a MSwin breakaway OS to not implement, but, I digress)... been debating installing and getting comfortable with compiz, as it seems stagnant- ringing it's death toll... I'm going to have another go at it. because, why not? :roll: :lol:

Your second link... I'm learning as I go, and recent resources posted to terminal-fu type training, from novice to not so dangerous novice, is a commitment I made today. I will give that a try first and see if I can mange it easy enough (with other "good reasons" for compiz install being reevaluated in the interim- better to learn the cmdline route for simple nitpicks I have in dis computing life:D))
redlined

Post by redlined »

phd21 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:40 pm HI redlined

Go in the Windows settings. Here, go to Behavior. There change "position of new windows" to cursor. And all the switches are on (on their left position). Windows won't now always in the middle of your screen.

Linux Cinnamon Mint - Remember window positions and sizes - Super User
https://superuser.com/questions/1012385 ... -and-sizes

Save Window Placement Settings? : linuxmint
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comm ... _settings/

Compiz can also do this.

Hope it helps...
hi phd21!

Thank you too, for these leads! I'm feeling leery of compiz (I think that was what I mis-installed some time back in cinnamon that added the extra/unneeded unity stuff possibly causing me issue on requiring 2x logins) anyways, going to have a good look at these links also and see if I can get it to work-otherwise I do see compiz has a plugin for this exact desire but I don't want to become enamored with it as it sounds like it's (compiz) getting left behind by the powers that be..in charge :|
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

redlined wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 pm
thanks rickNS! I found, CUT (which I think is kinda strange for a MSwin breakaway OS to not implement, but, I digress)... been debating installing and getting comfortable with compiz, as it seems stagnant- ringing it's death toll... I'm going to have another go at it. because, why not? :roll: :lol:

[/quote]

Thanks Redlined,

First, this is linux, not strange, it's NOTwindows, and no need to implement every windows function, I for one don't "need" this, nor do most, no offense.
Second, no need to install, compiz it is part of Mate DE, just enable it.
Third, Compiz is NOT stagnant nor defunct, in fact it has more function in Mint 19 than it has had for long while. Love the burn on close effect.

EDIT, shortly...
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Don't try adding compiz to Cinnamon, you'll break Cinnamon. Cinnamon has various options for where Windows open - none of them are a universal remembered position - Windows app > Behaviour

In Mate it's just a case of switching to Compiz as your Window Manager. Then lose hours as you play with it's gazillions of settings.... :roll: :wink:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi rickNS and smurphos!

A little backstory :roll: on compiz.. I know I installed it, on LM19beta Cinnamon :oops: shortly after it came out. Didn't know what I was doing but do recall looking at panel apps to get things how I preferred. Couple months back after upgrade to LM19 release I wasn't as happy with Cinnamon struggling on this old laptop so I installed MATE DE alongside. Then I started having to type apssword into two prompts each time I logged on or resumed from blank screen. We found unity greeter in troubleshooting which I removed along with all unity stuff I could find. I do believe this is why compiz is gone now, since I don't have it :?

anyways, I'm installing it back in now and get to playing with those 'gazillions of settings' smurphos mentioned and, because I do enjoy computer tinkering and a challenge in such I will be in my happy place both playing with options and trying some of the more challenging ways to set this preferrence as linked above.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

window placement, the easy way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQ6xW1pMiw
You'll just need to figure the x , y location.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi rickNS!

Thank you for that video link, certainly not going to enable a fire-ring around my mouse :P and not sure compiz fusion reference but did get compiz-mate installed back in but wasn't seeing anything to play with (options in MATE Tweak-windows tab-performance and behavior areas are not selectable) and could not find anything CCSM related in menu or anywhere... got it sorted with apt install compizconfig-settings-manager and now have something to work with :mrgreen:

I was going down the advices found here: Remember windows position on close for next open

also, my original concern of compiz was over what I read in this thread:
What's the news on updating Compiz for MATE? Is it being maintained? Where is it coming from? Much confusion.

typo in my last response- I stated panel apps, it was docks I was trying (ciaro-dock being the one decided). me old rusty none-too-trusty bit bucket doesn't store info well any more. gettin it all sorted though 8)
redlined

Re: [SOLVED] New window placement, possible to make LM19 remember where?

Post by redlined »

For MATE reinstalling compiz-mate and compizconfig-settings-manager has what I want (under place). I will revisit this solution when I get my modern laptop fixed up and LM19 Cinnamon installed on it. Marked as solved, Thanks all!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: [SOLVED] New window placement, possible to make LM19 remember where?

Post by smurphos »

With Cinnamon if you wanted to get down and dirty with some scripting I'm pretty sure it would be technically feasible to have a background script running tracking windows and their positions and then moving them to remembered positions when reopened using wmctrl and xdotool. Not a trivial exercise in scripting and probably better suited to a Cinnamon extension,
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Beginner Questions”