Ubuntu Software Center

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Auskart
Level 1
Level 1

Ubuntu Software Center

Post by Auskart » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm a newbie to Linux, how do I install Ubuntu Software Center on Mint Cinnamon, Thanks Shane.

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Ubuntu Software Center

Post by Pierre » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:55 pm

it would actually be prudent to Not install the Ubuntu Software Center ..
- as it may cause an conflict with the LinuxMint systems.

have you looked at the LinuxMint's "Software Manager" ?.
- that should have the same / similar suite of available programs, as the Ubuntu Software Center has got.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Auskart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Auskart » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Yes , but I believe there is a larger range of software available in the Ubuntu package.

noc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noc » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:43 pm

The software center only represents you the available software for your distribution. But since Linux Mint uses Ubuntu's repositories, you get the exact same programs on both operating systems.

Whether you search for them inside the Mint Software Manager or in Ubuntu Software Center will give you equal results on both Linux Mint and Ubuntu.
Desktop: Intel Core i3 2120 | Nvidia GeForce 750Ti | 8GB | 500GB HDD
Notebook: Intel Core i3 4005U | Intel HD 4400 / Nvidia GeForce 920M | 4GB | 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD

silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Auskart wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:04 pm
Yes , but I believe there is a larger range of software available in the Ubuntu package.
It may help if you tells us what software you are looking for and not finding.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:46 am

As mentioned, do NOT install Ubuntu softweare center, and never assume that because you're using UBuntu nased Mint that you can do anything recommended for UBuntu. They aren't identical.

You should probably learn how to use SYnaptic Package Manager, which is what most people use to install after a while, that or the terminal.

The only apparently useful thing I see in sofware manager is the reviews, but since it's mostly complete newbies using it, and they can't usually write meaningful reviews, the reviews are useless. I haven't touched it in years.

Return to “Newbie Questions”