'Themes' option will not open and other questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Hundjager
Level 1
Level 1

'Themes' option will not open and other questions

Post by Hundjager » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:52 pm

I want to experiment with new themes but the theme option will simply not open on my system. I could use the terminal, but I am kind of a noob and do not want to mess something up. I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 and also have WIndows 10 installed on this system.

My other question is, how do I increase the amount of space I initially gave to the partition I installed MInt on? I received a warning earlier warning me that space was running low.

Thank you for reading.

mintage
Level 2
Level 2

Re: 'Themes' option will not open and other questions

Post by mintage » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Noob here too.

THEME: Do you mean the Menu / SystemSettings / <Appearance>Themes icon does not open a window?
or
Do you mean you don't have an icon?

OTHER: You may have another issue if you have about 15GB for root dir and another partition for home dir. I would back everything up some where else before I did anything else, at all.
you can get a general list of your partitions with
kybd shortcut: <Ctrl> + <Alt> + t

Code: Select all

inxi -p
I thought I read something about Windows10 being able to resize Windows partitions "without losing data", but I haven't tried it because I don't have time to really check that out and fix it if anything goes wrong.
I understand that GParted will allow you to re-allocate an established partition, but the disk must be unmounted so you'd need to boot from a live CD that has that partitioning program on it, then run GParted to change partitions. From what I can tell, moving Microsoft partitions this way causes data loss.

If you don't need Windows...
:twisted: you could use the whole drive for Linux :twisted:
I made lasagna after this post.

Return to “Newbie Questions”