Oh yet, another Linux Mint+mouse scroll wheel thread

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Macquel

Oh yet, another Linux Mint+mouse scroll wheel thread

Post by Macquel »

Hello,

I'm reading posts from 2011 asking about the same thing. The infamous Mint mouse scroll wheel problem. The imwheel suggestion is by no means reliable. As for the unplug and plug in mouse, come on, this is a lame workaround at least. After so many years, didn't someone actually find a solution to this? Who's testing this? I mean for the last 7 years, Linux community has worked miracles and couldn't fix the mouse scroll wheel speed?

Please tell me that it can be done, I REALLY like Mint, but it ain't good if I can't use it.
Thank you very much for your help and sorry for the rant.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Oh yet, another Linux Mint+mouse scroll wheel thread

Post by Flemur »

Macquel wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:55 amThe infamous Mint mouse scroll wheel problem.
Never heard of it.
After so many years, didn't someone actually find a solution to this? Who's testing this? I mean for the last 7 years, Linux community has worked miracles and couldn't fix the mouse scroll wheel speed?
I gather that "this" is some problem with mouse scroll speed. Too fast, too slow, or something else? What type of computer and OS have this? What have you done to try to fix this?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Macquel

Post by Macquel »

I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 1000. The scroll is incredibly fast and unusable. The only way to make it work is to unplug and plug the mouse again. Then it works with no problems. But that's not a solution of course, just a temporary fix.
I'm using an Asus X550cl laptop. I've tried to plug mouse on usb ports and to a usb hub, but it doesn't matter. There are few times that It does work without the need of plug/unplug. But this is like 10% of the times.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Flemur wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:48 pm
Macquel wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:55 amThe infamous Mint mouse scroll wheel problem.
Never heard of it.
Neither did I, but then I'm only a Linux desktop user since 2006. :lol:

An amusingly dramatic topic title and first post, but OK, all joking aside.... Generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- Copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I notice a similar issue with MS wireless kb/mouse combo.

This happens only on dual boot pc with mint and Win7.
After a boot into Win7 and rebooting back into Mint the scroll will jump several lines instead of smooth scrolling.
A quick unplug/re-plug of the usb stub corrects the problem.
This is 100% repeatable.
If the system is shutdown after Win7 (as opposed to just restarting) the scroll is normal after booting Mint.
I suppose the usb stub's power is sustained during restart.

It's not an issue for me since I only boot Win7 after changing grub to make sure it still loads.
It did nag at me for a while till I found the cause and the quick solution to correct.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

I use a generic Motospeed USB wired mouse from DealExtreme on my HP laptop running Mint 19 MATE and have never had any issues with the scroll wheel. My brother has a completely different Acer laptop with a wireless Logitech mouse with no scrollwheel issues running Mint 19 MATE, and mom has an Emachines laptop running Mint 18.3 MATE with a Microsoft wireless mouse with no scrollwheel issues.

Can't say I've ever had any problems with scrollwheels on mice under Linux since I started using / tinkering with it back in 2008...?

Could it be certain models of Microsoft mice maybe?
Macquel

Post by Macquel »

all41 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:56 pm I notice a similar issue with MS wireless kb/mouse combo.

This happens only on dual boot pc with mint and Win7.
After a boot into Win7 and rebooting back into Mint the scroll will jump several lines instead of smooth scrolling.
A quick unplug/re-plug of the usb stub corrects the problem.
This is 100% repeatable.
If the system is shutdown after Win7 (as opposed to just restarting) the scroll is normal after booting Mint.
I suppose the usb stub's power is sustained during restart.

It's not an issue for me since I only boot Win7 after changing grub to make sure it still loads.
It did nag at me for a while till I found the cause and the quick solution to correct.
I agree, this is 100% repeatable, so the solution is not to restart after Windows but to shut down and then booting into Linux. The same goes for the audio interface which it doesn't work if I don't shut down my computer and restart instead.
Oh well, I can live that.
Thank you!!!!
Pascale

Post by Pascale »

I agree totally with Macquel.
The problem is that there is apparently no way to change the mouse scrolling speed, whatever the mouse is. And this is quite irritating.
I use a generic mouse with Linux Mint Cinammon, and my husband uses a Func MS2 mouse with LMDE, but none of us can make any change to the scroll speed of our mice. For me, it's not very annoying because the scroll speed is only a bit slow. But for the Func mouse, it's a real problem because it scrolls line by line!
I can't believe that there is no solution for this.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

I use a Logitech M705 mouse and I find the scroll wheel scrolls too slowly for me. This is mostly in my Opera browser, which is the main place where I want to do lots of scrolling, but I get the same slow scrolling when I try Firefox. I always thought it was a bit weird that Cinnamon has settings for mouse acceleration but nothing for the scroll wheel.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

Sadly this is one of those things that Linux developers have so far refused to address and what Windows is better at. I have yet to see a G.U.I. type of adjustment for the mouse wheel in Linux like Windows has. In Linux it's not adjustable.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:42 am Sadly this is one of those things that Linux developers have so far refused to address and what Windows is better at. I have yet to see a G.U.I. type of adjustment for the mouse wheel in Linux like Windows has. In Linux it's not adjustable.
Ranting isn't helpful; that's just thread pollution.

This is just one example of a recent series from you. Stop it or go back to Windows: nobody is forcing you to use Linux.
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:04 am Try this:
http://www.webupd8.org/2015/12/how-to-c ... speed.html
The first command worked but the second and third commands didn't as it didn't recognize the commands. Check to see if there was a mouse wheel speed adjustment and there wasn't any.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Thanks Pjotr, that helped a lot. The scrolling isn't as silky smooth as it was when I was using Windows and the Logitech mouse driver, but at least I don't have to crank away at the mouse wheel for ages to scroll a page or two! :D
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:21 am
The first command worked but the second and third commands didn't as it didn't recognize the commands. Check to see if there was a mouse wheel speed adjustment and there wasn't any.
Step #2 in those instructions was gedit ~/.imwheelrc but gedit isn't included by default with Mint (at least not the Mint 19.1 Cinnamon that I'm using), so try it with the included text editor xed, so the command would be xed ~/.imwheelrc
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

murray wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:13 pm
Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:21 am
Step #2 in those instructions was gedit ~/.imwheelrc but gedit isn't included by default with Mint (at least not the Mint 19.1 Cinnamon that I'm using), so try it with the included text editor xed, so the command would be xed ~/.imwheelrc
It says failed in the terminal but opened something. I don't understand. :?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:28 pm t says failed in the terminal but opened something. I don't understand. :?
xed (and lots of other apps) throw GDK warnings when run from the terminal. As long as the application actually opens you can safely ignore them.

The next step is to copy and paste the imwheel config to the empty document created by running xed and go from there.

Note these instructions won't necessarily be universal - they assume your mouse scroll-wheel is in fact buttons 4 (scrollup) and 5 (scrolldown). That is common, but not necessarily universal for all mice. The terminal application xev can assist in identifying the actual mouse buttons if necessary,

Some chap wrote a little zenity based GUI for this aswell - http://www.nicknorton.net/?q=node/10
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

smurphos wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:20 am
Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:28 pm t says failed in the terminal but opened something. I don't understand. :?
xed (and lots of other apps) throw GDK warnings when run from the terminal. As long as the application actually opens you can safely ignore them.

The next step is to copy and paste the imwheel config to the empty document created by running xed and go from there.

Note these instructions won't necessarily be universal - they assume your mouse scroll-wheel is in fact buttons 4 (scrollup) and 5 (scrolldown). That is common, but not necessarily universal for all mice. The terminal application xev can assist in identifying the actual mouse buttons if necessary,

Some chap wrote a little zenity based GUI for this aswell - http://www.nicknorton.net/?q=node/10
Thank you for trying but that confuses me. I live in 2019 and not the early 1980's. I don't understand all the command line gibberish. The command line reminds me of 8 bit computing which is why I waited so long to I got my own computer. I couldn't understand the command line in 1982 and I still can't understand it. I wish Linux would go full G.U.I. like Windows did where it would make the use of the command line optional.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

OK - six seven copy and paste commands that will get you a GUI for this (tested in Cinnamon but I think should be OK for Mate and XFCE)

Install imwheel and zenity

apt install imwheel zenity
Make a ~./local/bin directory

mkdir ~/.local/bin
Download zenity GUI for imwheel

wget http://www.nicknorton.net/mousewheel.sh -O ~/.local/bin/mousewheel.sh
Make that download executable

chmod u+x ~/.local/bin/mousewheel.sh
Add a desktop launcher

echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nName=Mouse Wheel Adjustment\nExec=mousewheel.sh\nComment=\nTerminal=false\nIcon=mouse\nType=Application" > $(xdg-user-dir DESKTOP)/mousewheel.desktop
Make launcher executable

chmod u+x $(xdg-user-dir DESKTOP)/mousewheel.desktop
Add an autostart entry for imwheel

echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nName=imwheel\nExec=imwheel\nX-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true\nNoDisplay=false\nHidden=false\nComment=\nX-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=15\nType=Application" > ~/.config/autostart/imwheel.desktop
Log off and log back in - click the new Mouse Wheel Adjustment Launcher on your desktop.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I've had this problem with the scroll speed on and off, I think since 18.0. Also using MS wireless, in my case a 3500 - so is this an MS wireless mouse problem? It will go weeks/months working perfectly and then suddenly one scroll = half a page. My simple solution is to unplug the wireless dongle and plug it into a different usb port. Everything then goes back to normal until the next time :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”