Screenshot not outputting the correct image

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dai

Screenshot not outputting the correct image

Post by Dai »

I have mint installed in virtualbox and when I use screenshot or shutter they out put a black image not the image I took. Not sure if it is a virtual box problem or another issue but need some help sorting this out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Sreenshot not outputting the correct image

Post by rickNS »

First guess is Guest Additions are not installed ?
I can take screen shot in a Debian 9, and Win7, on mint host.

Since your mint is the guest it would be helpful if we knew the host OS, hope it's not windows.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Dai

Re: Sreenshot not outputting the correct image

Post by Dai »

Host is windows 10. I haven't done this sort of stuff in a very long time so bare with me. If it's guest additions can I install just the guest additions or do I need to down load VirtualBox with guest additions. If I have to down load VirtualBox with Guest additions will I have reinstall Mint from scratch.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Screenshot not outputting the correct image

Post by rickNS »

I would NOT reinstall mint from scratch > waste of time.
And probably not a guest addition problem either as I just checked a Kubuntu VBox machine, running live with no guest additions, and screen shot worked on it as well, from that it seems not to be a linux, in particular linux mint issue.
So probably best to ask the windows people.

Maybe try the host key,... right ctrl + alt + print screen
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Dai

Post by Dai »

right ctrl + alt + print screen did absolutely nothing, should take a screenshot.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Have you tried booting the Live USB or DVD directly, i.e. not via a virtual machine?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Beginner Questions”