SOLVED Paths to partitions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED Paths to partitions

Post by jollyjack »

I'm ignorant of much that I should know, if i'm to work with LM18, so please be patient.

I seem to be having problems with the address path to a partition. I have an SSD and two HDDs, split into various partitions. All have names and labels. I "think" that previously I could use the name/label to identify the partition. Usually, if memory serves, (and it doesn't, these days..) as something like /media/backintime, for example. That doesn't seem to work these days.

I set up Back In Time a few weeks ago, to take a daily snapshot of /home. It took a few, then stopped. ??. Today, I tried to take an instant snapshot, and it didn't like that path. But if I gave it /mnt/e1416cd6... (which is the same partition), off it went quite happily.

(Plex is also playing up, can't "see" the partition, but that may be something completely different)

Being a very happy user of LM18, where am I going wrong? Is there a simple explanation of how I have to define a path to partition, that works

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Paths to partitions

Post by Flemur »

jollyjack wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:34 pmI seem to be having problems with the address path to a partition. I have an SSD and two HDDs, split into various partitions. All have names and labels. I "think" that previously I could use the name/label to identify the partition. Usually, if memory serves, (and it doesn't, these days..) as something like /media/backintime, for example. That doesn't seem to work these days.
This will show your partitions and their labels, whether they're mounted or not:

Code: Select all

blkid
I have a partition labeled "MINT" (a Mint installation, but not the one I'm running); if it's NOT in /etc/fstab, it shows up under "Places" in my file browser, and mounts to /media/username/MINT. It acts just like a labelled partition on an external USB drive.

If it had no label it would mount to /media/username/goofy-number, which isn't very informative.

If it IS in /etc/fstab, like

LABEL=MINT  /mnt/MINT  ext4 defaults,noauto,user,noatime 0 2
it will mount to /mnt/MINT (the 'noauto' means 'don't mount it at boot, mount it when I say to').
Or like this, a data parition that mounts to /mnt/DATA when I boot:

LABEL=DATA  /mnt/DATA  ext4    defaults,noatime    0 2
You could enter

mount /mnt/MINT
and the stuff in fstab tells it which partition to mount at /mnt/MINT, namely the one that's labelled "MINT".

FWIW, I made a couple of one-line scripts to (un)mount the partitions I define in fstab:
~/bin/mo

#!/bin/bash
mount /mnt/$1
In a terminal, use like:

mo MINT
to mount /mnt/MINT.

Edit: you don't have to mount them to /media or /mnt, it could be something like /home/username/Downloads as a mount-point of a separate partition; just put /home/username/Downloads in /etc/fstab rather than /mnt/whatever.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

jollyjack wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:34 pm ... All have names and labels. ...
Sorry.
I did not understand the difference between "names and Labels ".
I think it's a language problem.
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jollyjack »

@ricardogroetaers

I think "label is short for "volume label", and with GPT, you can also give it a name (for convenience?). I keep them the same.

@flemur

According to BLKID, the partition in question is:

/dev/sdb3: LABEL="BACKINTIME" UUID="e1414dc6-dafa-4660-bc7d-860cc6346db2" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="BACKINTIME" PARTUUID="c7fc95d9-7de9-43e8-8119-385e22af1f82"

And in fstab

/dev/disk/by-uuid/e1414dc6-dafa-4660-bc7d-860cc6346db2 /mnt/e1414dc6-dafa-4660-bc7d-860cc6346db2 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Does this info shed any light on where I have a problem? I'd be happy if it wasn't in /etc/fstab, and just showed up in "Places", as you describe - manually mounting it is no big deal.

Thanks
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

jollyjack wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 amAccording to BLKID, the partition in question is:
/dev/sdb3: LABEL="BACKINTIME" UUID="e1414dc6-dafa-4660-bc7d-860cc6346db2" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="BACKINTIME" PARTUUID="c7fc95d9-7de9-43e8-8119-385e22af1f82"

And in fstab
/dev/disk/by-uuid/e1414dc6-dafa-4660-bc7d-860cc6346db2 /mnt/e1414dc6-dafa-4660-bc7d-860cc6346db2 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Does this info shed any light on where I have a problem?
Original problem was Backintime not finding the same partition? I dunno (I dunno anything at all about backintime!)
I'm guessing you used "disks" and it made that entry in fstab, though why it would want to define the mountpoint using the uuid rather than the label is beyond me.
I'd be happy if it wasn't in /etc/fstab, and just showed up in "Places", as you describe - manually mounting it is no big deal.
If you comment out that line in fstab (put a "#" in front of the line), I'm pretty sure the partition will show up in Places, and will mount to /media/username/BACKINTIME when you mount it (thru file browser). I don't see any PARTLABELs when I use blkid, but I'm using the most primitive (MBR and extended partition...) disk setup you can.

Just to be safe, do this before changing fstab:

sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.save
so you can recover if you mess up. It's an important file.
-- unmount that partition
-- edit /etc/fstab
-- open a new file browser - the partition should be under Places. See what happens when you double-click.

You might internet search on
PARTLABEL vs LABEL
which I think is the "name":
https://superuser.com/questions/1099232 ... el/1099292
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jollyjack »

Hi, Flemur,

Sorry for the delay in replying - the village lost telecoms (including the internet) for three days.

Well, your idea worked. That partition now shows up in "devices" in my file manager, and double-clicking opens it up. The final test will be if BackInTime works tonight. Fingers crossed

Thanks
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jollyjack »

Yippee!
BackInTime now works perfectly.

Thanks, Flemur

Return to “Beginner Questions”