Mint 19 Tara, text in Firefox login dialogues invisible

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
looker1
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19 Tara, text in Firefox login dialogues invisible

Post by looker1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:58 am

Just installed Linux Mint Tara for the first time (love it) everything went well except on certain sites like Instagram or my banking site it won't let me enter text for signing in. When you click on user name and password and start to type nothing shows on the screen but on Firefox the password saver does pop up and ask if you want to save it. Firefox does show what you just typed is password saver and for example if you hit login it does work but what you type does not show up on the screen, any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tried to make the title explain better what the issue is

Lord Boltar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Text

Post by Lord Boltar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 pm

You could try turning off hardware acceleration in Firefox
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:35 pm

looker1, welcome to the forums.

Have you tried a different web browser to see if the same thing happens?

You can get Chromium (very similar to Chrome) from the Software Manager.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Some websites will hide the password, no matter which browser you use.

and my bank website will NOT allow me to see it, nor allow a Password Manager to fill in the password, the username, yes...
irks me, that I have to go look to see what that mysterious password is, and try to type it in manually....

and then naturally, I screw it all up.
I have taken to ignoring their requirements, using the same basename and then adding on a bunch of sequential numbers that are easy for me to remember.

what good does it do to have a 2,000 character password if you can't remember it? ( pun )

I thought the whole idea of password managers was to let them create a 'unique scrambled password' and fill it in for you.

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 19 Tara, text in Firefox login dialogues invisible

Post by Schultz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Sounds like the text color and the background color are the same.

carum carvi
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 19 Tara, text in Firefox login dialogues invisible

Post by carum carvi » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:22 am

Schultz wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:32 pm
Sounds like the text color and the background color are the same.
I agree with the suggestion by Schultz. I have experienced the same problem as the original poster at some sites as well. One can change settings for background color in Firefox settings. Select "Preferences". Select "General". Select " Fonttypes and colors" . Try out different combinations. You can deselect the option that websites can use their own letterype fonts and colors, so your color combination will over rule their standard layout. Try visiting the same site with different text color and different background color settings.

Using a different browser to visit the site is a good suggestion as well, as has been mentioned before.

Return to “Newbie Questions”