Mint 19 Tara, text in Firefox login dialogues invisible

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
looker1

Mint 19 Tara, text in Firefox login dialogues invisible

Post by looker1 »

Just installed Linux Mint Tara for the first time (love it) everything went well except on certain sites like Instagram or my banking site it won't let me enter text for signing in. When you click on user name and password and start to type nothing shows on the screen but on Firefox the password saver does pop up and ask if you want to save it. Firefox does show what you just typed is password saver and for example if you hit login it does work but what you type does not show up on the screen, any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lord Boltar

Re: Text

Post by Lord Boltar »

You could try turning off hardware acceleration in Firefox
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

looker1, welcome to the forums.

Have you tried a different web browser to see if the same thing happens?

You can get Chromium (very similar to Chrome) from the Software Manager.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Some websites will hide the password, no matter which browser you use.

and my bank website will NOT allow me to see it, nor allow a Password Manager to fill in the password, the username, yes...
irks me, that I have to go look to see what that mysterious password is, and try to type it in manually....

and then naturally, I screw it all up.
I have taken to ignoring their requirements, using the same basename and then adding on a bunch of sequential numbers that are easy for me to remember.

what good does it do to have a 2,000 character password if you can't remember it? ( pun )

I thought the whole idea of password managers was to let them create a 'unique scrambled password' and fill it in for you.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint 19 Tara, text in Firefox login dialogues invisible

Post by Schultz »

Sounds like the text color and the background color are the same.
carum carvi

Re: Mint 19 Tara, text in Firefox login dialogues invisible

Post by carum carvi »

Schultz wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:32 pm Sounds like the text color and the background color are the same.
I agree with the suggestion by Schultz. I have experienced the same problem as the original poster at some sites as well. One can change settings for background color in Firefox settings. Select "Preferences". Select "General". Select " Fonttypes and colors" . Try out different combinations. You can deselect the option that websites can use their own letterype fonts and colors, so your color combination will over rule their standard layout. Try visiting the same site with different text color and different background color settings.

Using a different browser to visit the site is a good suggestion as well, as has been mentioned before.

Return to “Beginner Questions”