Playing Bluray movies

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pascal Illustrator

Playing Bluray movies

Post by Pascal Illustrator »

Hello,
I have a bluray movie and wanted to watch it with VLC media player, but it didn't worked.
It said to look in the logbook, but I don't have an idea where I have to find that.
Then I booted up with Windows 10 and could watch the movie with another blu ray player.
But how can I solve it in Linux? If VLC doesn't work, are there other good Bluray players for Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Playing Bluray movies

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Pascal Illustrator",

See these posts:

cd burner for mint 19
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=279918&hilit=regionset

Dvd's won't play
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=267440&hilit=regionset

How to Play DVDs and Blu-rays on Linux
https://www.howtogeek.com/240487/how-to ... -on-linux/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Pascal Illustrator

I think my bluray disc is to new for the VLC method.
Then I think I will use Windows for it.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Pascal Illustrator",

If you install the packages from the first link for "K3b" and any "blu-ray" packages from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)", you should be able to play your Blu-Ray discs, restart the computer after installing these. The only other potential problem is the player's "region" settings, see link 2. If you still have a problem, the 3rd link has an option for using the excellent "MakeMKV" software to play or "rip" Blu-Ray discs. Remember that these procedures only need to be done once, then this should work fine from then on.

SMplayer is another multi-media player that is supposed to play Blu_ray and or DVD discs. "Totem" is good for DVD's too, shows up as "videos" in menus.

I do not have a computer Blu-Ray player burner although I would love one, or I would verify this for you.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Pascal Illustrator

I tried this to get VLC work:
https://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

But it didn't work. It has something to do with AACS

I also tried Smplayer, but it seems it doesn't see my bluray player/writter.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Pascal Illustrator",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Is this an internal or USB external Blu-Ray player?

Did you install "K3b" per the link's instructions that I mentioned before, there is a special quote box for people with Blu-Ray player burners with additional instructions.

Installing the "libdvd-pkg" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" should provide the current decryption packages for Blu-Ray and DVD discs. I think it may be installed when you install the "ubuntu-restricted-extras" from the Synaptic Package, but make sure. While in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" search for "blu ray" and install those packages too.

It is also a good idea to install "ffmpeg", "x264", "x265" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

Hope this helps ...
Blu-Ray_SynapticPackageManager.jpg
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

Make sure you have the following installed - you can check them through the Synaptic Package Manager and install as necessary

libdvdread4

libdvd-pkg - this may also install libdvdcss

libdvdcss

libaacs0

libbluray-bdj

libbluray2

libbluray-bin

once installed reboot try again

Hope this helps
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

Pascal Illustrator wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:22 pm I tried this to get VLC work:
https://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

But it didn't work. It has something to do with AACS

I also tried Smplayer, but it seems it doesn't see my bluray player/writter.
This works with some Blurays but not all. I've only tried a few of mine, but it seems to be less than half success rate.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI ugly, "Pascal Illustrator", & Everyone Else,

If you follow my instructions, I think you can play most Blu-Ray discs

If the other instructions do not play everything then this link has instructions for installing the superb MakeMKV application with additional instructions on how to play most Blu-Ray and DVD discs using components from this application.

vlc - Can linux play blu-rays? - Ask Ubuntu
https://askubuntu.com/questions/565516/ ... y-blu-rays

Hope this helps ...
Pascal Illustrator

Thank you everyone.
I am sorry, but I don't like to share detailed computer information on the internet.
It's an internal ASUS drive.
I have installed K3b and libdvd-pkg and the blu ray packages.
ffmpeg x264 and x265 were installed already.
I think AACS is a problem. VLC says it's 'withdrawn' (I translated it literally from Dutch to English, maybe the software uses a different word for the English version).
But I have seen the complete movie now on Windows, so it has become less important since all my other movies are on dvd.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Pascal Illustrator",

There is nothing in the results of those commands that would be "bad" for you or reduce your security. You could omit your hostname if you wanted, but there are details about the DVD/CD/Blu-Ray drive(s) and your video setup that would help a lot.
Pascal Illustrator

I prefer to close this topic.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pascal Illustrator wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:09 pm Thank you everyone.
I am sorry, but I don't like to share detailed computer information on the internet.....
Then you are never going to get any sort of decent Linux support anywhere and indeed may as well go back to Windows.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
anthony2020
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anthony2020 »

Forget it.

Playing blu-rays on Linux is such a ball ache it isn't worth the effort. By the time you figure it out, get a Phd in computer science or otherwise jump through a million hoops, you will be too frustrated to watch your movie. Even if you do figure it out you cant watch all blu rays - just some.

Rip your blu rays with MakeMKV if you can.

Buy a blu-ray player and watch them on your tv.

I've been trying to crack this for years. I'm done trying and am resigned to the fact that Linux does pretty much everything better than Windows - just not this.

Hope that helps.
Pascal Illustrator

Thank you for your respond.
Yes I know Blu ray is not an option.
Not only did I stopped trying to get Bluray working on Linux, but stopped completely with Linux.

I have to disagree with ‘Linux doing things better than Windows’.
In my opinion… it depends…
If you know everything about Linux it’s great, but as a content creator, like me - I’m sorry but - it’s a nightmare.

My experience after 2 years is that Linux is unstable, there’s not much good software available, hardware is not supported and for small problems you need the terminal, which I think no end user ever should confronted with.

About 2 years ago - after many years using Mac - I bought a super-duper expensive PC computer with al the best specs to edit 4K, music production and for professional illustration. The idea was to work for a while with Windows and then swich to Linux because I heard great things about it.
But it wasn’t great at all. All I wanted was a stable system that worked and let me do my work, but what I got was an unstable system with many problems that prevented me to do my work.
Compared with Mac OS and Windows it was a dissapointment. I tried to get it work but it’s impossible.

I decided to switch back my workflow and choosed for Mac OS because I work with that system for more than 20 years. It’s the most user friendly system and does the job without problems.

I am selling my super-duper > 2K pc computer and bought a Mac mini 2018 instead.
This little computer can do all tasks with ease. That’s what I need. It just works.

I hope nobody is offended by my opinion, but this is how I experience it. Linux is for people with interst in the computer things and Mac for people who just want to focus on their work.
soundchaser59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by soundchaser59 »

Pascal Illustrator wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:34 am Thank you for your respond.
Yes I know Blu ray is not an option.
Not only did I stopped trying to get Bluray working on Linux, but stopped completely with Linux.

I have to disagree with ‘Linux doing things better than Windows’.
In my opinion… it depends…
If you know everything about Linux it’s great, but as a content creator, like me - I’m sorry but - it’s a nightmare.

My experience after 2 years is that Linux is unstable, there’s not much good software available, hardware is not supported and for small problems you need the terminal, which I think no end user ever should confronted with.

About 2 years ago - after many years using Mac - I bought a super-duper expensive PC computer with al the best specs to edit 4K, music production and for professional illustration. The idea was to work for a while with Windows and then swich to Linux because I heard great things about it.
But it wasn’t great at all. All I wanted was a stable system that worked and let me do my work, but what I got was an unstable system with many problems that prevented me to do my work.
Compared with Mac OS and Windows it was a dissapointment. I tried to get it work but it’s impossible.

I decided to switch back my workflow and choosed for Mac OS because I work with that system for more than 20 years. It’s the most user friendly system and does the job without problems.

I am selling my super-duper > 2K pc computer and bought a Mac mini 2018 instead.
This little computer can do all tasks with ease. That’s what I need. It just works.

I hope nobody is offended by my opinion, but this is how I experience it. Linux is for people with interst in the computer things and Mac for people who just want to focus on their work.
I understand this position, but I also think it's important to make a distinction here. When comparing to Windows, and to a lesser extent with Mac, Keep in mind that the vast majority of Windows machines and users are primarily in an office environment and secondarily in a generic home environment. Both environments are typically no more demanding than doing office work, word docs, spreadsheets, databases, maybe some powerpoint, reading pdf docs, lots of email and more and more a lot of internet browsing. Windows and Mac and Linux all excel at these tasks and I would agree that Linux does all of these things as well as Windows if not better. Windows makes it look slicker a lot of times, but the core functionality is on par among the 3 systems. Linux has come a long, long way in the last 15-20 years. I, for one, am very impressed.

The distinction I think you should heed is when it comes to doing the very specialized tasks like professional graphics, pro video, and pro sound. I admit Linux is lacking in these areas, especially for the non-nerd crowd who wants everything plug and play and "do as much for me as you can so I don't have to know anything about computers." Windows excels at that, primarily because it is a for-profit system that has attracted all of the biggest developers and money backing you can imagine to develop these things. The big profit-oriented developers don't put their time and effort into developing specialized apps for Linux because there is no (or very little) profit in it. The people who have been kind enough and selfless enough to devote their energies to making Linux competitive in the home and office world have never put their development sights on the specialized apps for graphics, video and sound, at least not to the extent and grandeur required to make those apps as glamorous as the same apps in the Windows world and the Mac world.

If you are disappointed with something off the beaten home-office path like blu ray players, don't blame Linux. Linux is not the disappointment. The only disappointment is that there is so little motive to spur Linux developers to conquer those out of the way issues. I had to accept the same disappointment with making music. I can make my own cd full of original rock and roll at home using my Windows machine, but only because the very specialized beast that is multi-track recording software has never been tamed in the Linux world. That is not cause to abandon Linux for all the other home-office functions I do routinely, and it is certainly not cause to bash Linux. If some Windows-like financial behemoth started funding development of graphic and video production software for Linux I have no doubt you would quickly have good reason to change your tune.

I love Linux for everything home-office I do. The only thing keeping me with one foot in the Windows arena is the quality of the very specialized apps I use to make multi track recordings. Someday when there is good cause for a large team to develop these apps for Linux to the same robust quality and ease of use as they are in Windows, then that will be the last prod I need to completely abandon Windows. No way is it the fault of Linux that hasn't happened yet.
Pascal Illustrator

Thanks for your respond.

About the average user who only does office - internet - email tasks it does indeed not make that much a difference, but most people don’t even know about Linux or what a distro is.
All computers are sold with an OS ready to go (Windows or Mac OS), why should the average user go trough all the technical things to install Linux.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The problem I had with Linux, was that there always was someting. A scanner that didn’t work because there wasn’t a driver or something on the system was changed, the express keys of my wacom tablet weren’t supported. the system that suddenly stopped working, …
And of coarse the very limited content-creation software.

There were a few things that impressed me first, but after a while I knew it wasn’t good enough for serious content creation for me.

I think Linux is great for a certain group of computer users, but not for for the average user or content creators.
Yes, maybe it is because the developers and the lack of attention they have for linux, but as long this not changes the 2 big systems Windows and Mac will be a better option for most poeple.

I also think Bluray will very slowly dissapear with all the streaming services.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

For Bluray movies, Windows isn't much better than Linux. On Windows you either need to do similar steps as you do on Linux to get it working on Kodi or VLC. Or you have to buy commercial software for like $40 to get Bluray working.

Also, since this thread started, I've found that Bluray movies work a lot better.

Return to “Beginner Questions”