looking for a program to write a dvd movie to usb stick

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sn00pd0g

looking for a program to write a dvd movie to usb stick

Post by sn00pd0g »

I am looking for a program to write a dvd movie to usb stick. I have a Eee PC x101ch. Ay help would be great :) I am running Linux Mint 19 32 bit. If that helps. :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: looking for a program to write a dvd movie to usb stick

Post by AndyMH »

First you will need to rip the DVD, for this you need either handbrake or makeMKV or both. To get handbrake, in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
apt update
sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk
Handbrake can be installed from the software manager, but it is one of a few applications where the general concensus on the forum is to install from source (to get the latest version).

Now handbrake may run into problems with copy protection, to get makeMKV:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:heyarje/makemkv-beta
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install makemkv-oss makemkv-bin
You then need to visit http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 to get the latest key (the beta version is free).

While I've yet to find a DVD that makeMKV can't deal with, it does produce large, multi-GB files. You can use handbrake to convert to m4v - much smaller.

Once you have ripped the DVD to your hard disk you can copy it as normal to your USB stick.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

You can use K3B and rip the dvd then copy the files to a thumb drive
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:24 pm First you will need to rip the DVD, for this you need either handbrake or makeMKV or both.

Handbrake can be installed from the software manager, but it is one of a few applications where the general concensus on the forum is to install from source (to get the latest version).

Once you have ripped the DVD to your hard disk you can copy it as normal to your USB stick.
SnOOpdOg, I have been looking around and testing several DVD copying software and "Handbrake" definitely is very user friendly for beginners. No additional installs needed.

SnOOpdOg, if you are still unfamiliar with terminal codes and get spooked by it, just as andyMH already said, I would also like to suggest to download Handbrake from "Software manager". It worked well for me.
Select "Menu". Type "Software Manager". Type "Handbrake" in the upper right search field. Press "Install" That's it.

"K3b" is an excellent dvd burner program but you need to install additional packages after you are greeted with several error messages. That can be a real hassle for a newbie. I didnt succeed in installing "K3b" myself and because "Handbrake" works out of the box I would suggest downloading "Handbrake".
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi sn00pd0g, and Anyone Elese,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

"Handbrake" and "K3b" are great but are known to not work for all movie discs, but "MakeMKV" is even better and should work on most if not all Blu-Ray and DVD discs to backup or convert your video discs into digital formats.

FYI: "K3b" works great but there are recommend and suggested packages to be installed, and in Linux Mint 19.x requires some additional steps, see link below.

cd burner for mint 19 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=279918&p=1542811#p1542811

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Beginner Questions”