Networking issue<SOLVED>

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tmitch06905

Networking issue<SOLVED>

Post by tmitch06905 »

I am an old Windows warhorse and new to Linux. I have a desktop computer networked to 3 Windows laptops. I have a 4th laptop with Linux Mint 19 "Tara" Mate installed. The name of the desktop is "vision". To access vision on my linux laptop I go to windows network and search for smb://vision/users. I then get the shared folders in the desktop (vision) displayed and I can access them. A folder is then created on my desktop called "users on vision" . The problem is I have to do this every time I start the laptop because that folder that was created on my desktop is not saved. Is there a way to keep that folder on my desktop or am I doing something wrong.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Networking issue

Post by altair4 »

Depends on how far you want to automate this.

You could just Bookmark it. The next time you go through the Network > Windows Network > Vision > Users select Bookmark > Add bookmark. Then it will show up on Nemo as a link on the side panel. The next time you boot into your machine you can open Nemo and click on the link to mount it.

The next step up is a utility called Gigolo that if configured to do so will automount the share as soon as it finds it. I wrote a HowTo about this a hundred years ago: Using Gigolo GUI to Mount Remote Samba Shares
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
tmitch06905

Re: Networking issue<SOLVED>

Post by tmitch06905 »

@ altair4
Thank you for your response. Very helpful.

Return to “Beginner Questions”