need to create USB-win install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greenman63

need to create USB-win install

Post by greenman63 »

Hi all newb here.
just installed Mint Lara 19

i accidentally deleted a partition when i was installing Mint
that partition had boot info for my Win7 install which i still want to use (dual boot)
i can probably fix it when i get back to a WIN environment, but thats the rub.

i need to create a win-USB to install Win7, so i can use a partition manager and fix the original Windows install.
i tried installing WINE but it screwed up the whole install, and i had to re-install.

next question if i could...
i have a samsung phone i would like to import pics from.
i plug it into the USB but the file manager shows nothing ?

3rd +last question...
in the "update manager" there are dozens of things already checked.
i am unclear as to, if these are already installed, and if i un-check them, it will uninstall them ?
or, should i keep them all checked and install all of them ? or, just what i want ?

thanks all...

BTW, i love Mint ! - super fast.
i used Red Hat like 20yrs ago, but have been a win user since.
it will take me time , but i plan on using Mint as my primary OS soon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Captain Brillo

Re: need to create USB-win install

Post by Captain Brillo »

No windows recovery USB?
I would bet you'll need to re-install windows then. You have a key?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... d/windows7

hope that helps
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, greenman63.

Answer to your 3rd question:
greenman63 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:15 pm3rd +last question...
in the "update manager" there are dozens of things already checked.
i am unclear as to, if these are already installed, and if i un-check them, it will uninstall them ?
or, should i keep them all checked and install all of them ? or, just what i want ?
Your screenshot displays the Mint Update Manager. The Mint Update Manager presents you the list of available software updates. They have all been pre-selected for updating.
The only thing which you have to do is clicking the [Install] button.
In case you deselected software packages, they would not be uninstalled. They would only not be updated.
Yet randomly excluding software packages from the update process is not the smartest idea.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

If you have a Windows ISO file you should be able to create a Windows USB installer. I would use USB image writer but there are alternatives. You will need a Windows key. If you install Windows after Linux you will have to restore the Grub settings, Windows doesn't recognize Linux.

When I plug my Samsung tablet into my computer a message appears on the tablet screen to allow communications. I have to allow it by pressing on the tablet screen.

Things checked on the update screen will be installed. You cannot uninstall from that screen.

Good luck
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
greenman63

Post by greenman63 »

Seadreamer
there are versions of Win which are free, others which are free for a few months.
i may be comfortable enough with LM to not need windows anymore after some months, if i can run certain software.

I have an ISO file., but, it is on a partition which was corrupted ( called "800" in the image shown)
how do i restore GRUB settings ? (Mint is installed on a different drive all together BTW)
greenman63

Post by greenman63 »

Your screenshot displays the Mint Update Manager. The Mint Update Manager presents you the list of available software updates. They have all been pre-selected for updating.
The only thing which you have to do is clicking the [Install] button.
In case you deselected software packages, they would not be uninstalled. They would only not be updated.
Yet randomly excluding software packages from the update process is not the smartest idea.

Best regards,
Karl
[/quote]

so i should go ahead and let them all update it appears.

thank you Karl + also Captain Brillo
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

greenman63 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:15 pm i accidentally deleted a partition when i was installing Mint
that partition had boot info for my Win7 install which i still want to use (dual boot)
i can probably fix it when i get back to a WIN environment, but thats the rub.

i need to create a win-USB to install Win7, so i can use a partition manager and fix the original Windows install.
https://www.dell.com/support/article/my ... pc?lang=en (How to repair the EFI bootloader on a GPT HDD or repair the MBR, for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 on your Dell PC)
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

I am unaware of any free Windows install other than the free version of Windows 10 that was available for a while, I don't know if it still works. You can generally run Windows for 30 days or so without registering it.

Here is the procedure to restore Grub after a Windows installation. It assumes that everything works after the installation.

Fair notice, I did not create this I don't know who did, I have been using it for years. Kudos to the author.

Code: Select all

First, grab a copy of the latest Mint/Ubuntu LiveCD and boot it.
    * Open a terminal and type 

$ sudo fdisk -l

* Now, you need to remember which device listed is your linux distribution, for reference, /dev/sda1 will be used. Now we need to mount the filesystem to /mnt 

$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

* If you have /boot on a separate partition, that need's to be mounted aswell. For reference, /dev/sda2 will be used. 

$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot Make sure you don't mix these up, pay attention to the output of FDISK

* Now mount the rest of your devices 

$ sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev

* Now chroot into your system 

$ sudo chroot /mnt

You should be chroot'd into your system as root, you can now run commands as root, without the need for sudo.

Now you need to edit the /etc/default/grub file to fit your system 

$ nano /etc/default/grub

When that is done you need to run update-grub to create the configuration file. 

$ update-grub

To install GRUB 2 to the MBR, next you need to run grub-install /dev/sda 

$ grub-install /dev/sda

If you encounter any errors, try grub-install --recheck /dev/sda 

$ grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

* Press Ctrl+D to exit out of the chroot.
    * Once you exit back to your regular console, undo all the mounting, first the /dev 

$ sudo umount /mnt/dev

* Now you can unmount the root system 

$ sudo umount /mnt

* And you should be free to restart your system right into GRUB 2 and then into your system installation. 
Good Luck.
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games

Return to “Beginner Questions”